Loss of Dexterity
About 9 months ago I started having trouble writing.  It seems that controlling my thumb and pointer finger is getting more difficult.  The knucle in my thumb has, in the past week, started an intermittent burning sensation.  It is extremely frustrating to write when it only results in illegible scribble.  Any ideas what could cause this?

Two possibilities are there.firstly,it can be writer’s cramps.It causes a cramp or spasm affecting certain muscles of the hand and/or fingers Writer's cramp first affects an individual by inhibiting their ability to write. Researchers generally agree that these types of focal dystonia are the result of a basal ganglia and/or sensorimotor cortex malfunction in the brain.

Second possibility is of distal median nerve dysfunction. Distal median nerve dysfunction is a form of peripheral neuropathy that affects the movement of or sensation in the hands.

EMG.nerve conduction tests and nerve biopsy along with CT/MRI brain are needed to confirma diagnosis.Pls consult a neurologist for that.Treatment will depend on the confirmation of diagnosis.

Hope it helps.Take care and pls do keep me posted on how you are doing and if you have any additional queries.Kind regards.

Doctor Ratings & Reviews
Comprehensive info on 720K doctors.
Complete reviews, ratings & more.