Undiagnosed Symptoms Community
Low Back Pain! It never goes away!

This patient support community is for discussions relating to undiagnosed symptoms, breathing difficulties, feeling cold, cough, diarrhea, dizziness, fainting, fever, indigestion, itching, nausea, numbness, pain (chronic), paralysis, rash, sweating, swelling, urination problems, and vomiting.

Low Back Pain! It never goes away!

I have been struggling with severe back pain for the last 3 + years. I had surgery in March of 2007, now I feel worse than before but the doctor that did the surgery won't even see me.  I have a pain management doctor but he just does injection after injection and those don't help.  I'm just paying for nothing.  Please help me?
Thanks for writing to the forum!
I am sorry to hear about this. However if you could provide some more details of the diagnosis and surgery, we will be in a better position to understand your case.

Low back ache is very common after spinal analgesia and repeated attempt to get the analgesia would cause more damage. Maintaining a good posture goes a long way in overcoming this type of pain. You can wear a lumbar belt to give support to the back muscles while you are working. Physiotherapy should work to strengthen the back muscles.  
Low back ache can also be due to irritable bowel syndrome. Tumors of the spine both benign and malignant, kidney problems, ovarian cysts, uterine fibroids and endometriosis are the other possibilities.

Please discuss these possibilities with your doctor. It is difficult to comment beyond this without examining. A comprehensive investigation is required keeping all the points in mind. Please let me know if there is any thing else and do keep me posted. Take care!
Than you for your response. I had a torn disc at L5S1, the doctor said that the surgery would reduce my pain to a "2". It's a 10 most days.  I had a Fusion at the level, as well as steriod injections, radiofrequency rhizotomy, and have talked about a pain pump. I had a hystorectomy in 2005, hoping this would end the back pain but it hasn't helped either.  The rods and screws that they put in my spine is where 90% of the pain is. The rest of the pain is sacroilliac. The rods and screws ache and hurt and sometimes if I move just right, I get the wind knocked out of me. I also have an issue where if I lay down or even sit back with my legs out, sometimes even walking through tthe store, my back locks up. The only way to stop this is to have my husband physically pick me up and move me! But he's not at home with me 24/7.so if it happens while he's gone I just stay in that position because the pain it brings on is so intense and excrutiating I cannot move. That's in the sacrum area, it feels like my sacrum moves toward the right and it locks up. One of my doctors said not to do physical therapy because they are concerned it will make things worse.  I hav tried it but it is too painful and I have to stop. This is debilitating pain. He has me on Percocet and Morphine. But it's just not enough to help with the pain. Please recommend a doctor that can help me or a procedure that can help me.
Thanks for the update!
I have a feeling that the fusion has resulted in nerve impingement and this is the cause of your pain. Another possibility is that the screws have got infected and there is resultant osteomyelitis of the bone. I would suggest a MRI of the area to know for sure the status of the L5-S1 area. Also you must get nerve conduction study done.
Hope this helps. Do let me know if there is any thing else and keep me posted. Take care!