Undiagnosed Symptoms Community
Low Body Temperature

This patient support community is for discussions relating to undiagnosed symptoms, breathing difficulties, feeling cold, cough, diarrhea, dizziness, fainting, fever, indigestion, itching, nausea, numbness, pain (chronic), paralysis, rash, sweating, swelling, urination problems, and vomiting.

Low Body Temperature

So this seems like the community where I post random symptoms and see if anyone can connect the dots :-)

On November 2008, I began having symptoms that I could not explain. High blood pressure (160/100). Constant heart palps. Low body temperature (used to be a little over 98, but now it's around 96/97). Major fatigue. I've been to many doctors (cardiologist, urologist, endrocrinologist, pulmonologist, even a psychiatrist) and no one can seem to find anything wrong. I don't have a thyroid so my endo is monitoring my TSH levels pretty closely, attempting to keep me more hyper than hypo (but this hasn't affected my symptoms).

What really worries me is not necessarily the heart stuff--both my parents have high blood pressure and beta blockers seem to work well enough--but my low body temp freaks me out every now and again. Just recently, my stomach was all knotted up for some reason and I just felt really cold--like I was getting sick. When I took my temp, it was 95.6. So I waited and tried it again--I even left the thermometer in my mouth just in case it didn't warm up fast enough on the second try. I could not get a readout higher than 96. The temp upstairs was 72F and I was in a sweatshirt and sweatpants, which is weird for a guy who sleeps in boxer briefs with a fan on almost year round.

This morning I took a shower and kept trying my temp again, and only after I chased my kid around this morning did it get into the 97 range. But now I'm wondering if my low body temp could be the main cause of every other problem I have. I know low body temps can cause fatigue and heart-related issues, but I'm not sure how. Maybe some weird metabolic issue?

And how does someone get to hypothermia without actually being in freezing cold water or in cold weather? If my temp drops to 95F, I'm going to be extremely concerned. Even 95.6F last night was concerning.
     You might have your doctor test you for ANA - Lupus.  People with Lupus suffer from all kinds of symptoms, including low body temperature, Reynaud's syndrome, aches and pains, rashes, connective tissue disease and the list goes on.  

Hoping you get a diagnosis soon... Wishing you the best ..
I'd suggest you research supplementing with iodine, even without a thyroid the rest of your body needs and uses iodine. A couple of doctors who use iodine with their patients are Dr. Jorge Flechas and Dr. Brownstein. You may also want to find a Functional Diagnostic Nutrition practitioner, they will get to the root cause and help you work with your body to get healthy :)
In regard to Lupus, I've done most of the testing incidentally chasing other possible medical culprits. The only thing I haven't done is the erythrocyte sedimentation rate and the antinuclear antibody (ANA) test. I'll bring it up with my general practitioner and see what he says. Thanks for the idea!