Undiagnosed Symptoms Community
Low Potassium of 2.0

This patient support community is for discussions relating to undiagnosed symptoms, breathing difficulties, feeling cold, cough, diarrhea, dizziness, fainting, fever, indigestion, itching, nausea, numbness, pain (chronic), paralysis, rash, sweating, swelling, urination problems, and vomiting.

Low Potassium of 2.0

I was recently rush to the ER by ambulance from the Urgent Care because of an abnormal EKG. My potassium level was 2.0, which is very low the ER tells me. I am concerned as to why it got so low in the first place, and will it return to that level after time. I was given a IV bag of potassium, but am concerned. I have a Dr appt on Wednesday, and will ask to have another blood test. Has anyone ever experienced this. I have read about everything that could cause it to be this low, but none apply to me.
Tags: diarrhea
Avatar n tn
Vomiting, diarrhea, diuretics, and excessive perspiration are all causes of a severe potassium loss.  There are others, but these are the main culprits.  Just put in "causes of hypokalemia" in your search engine and you will see all the causes. Some medications may cause you to be hypokalemic.  Check the sheets that come with your meds to see if any of them cause loss of potassium.

Take Care!
I went to the ER twice for dizzy spells and had some blood work done.  I overheard the nurse/lab tech tell the doctor that the machine was broken cause it didn't register much potassium or magnesium.  Another lady beside me had bloodwork done also and hers came back just minutes after mine.  Her levels were all fine.....  The doctor didn't really know why I didn't have much potassium (other than not eating the correct foods).  I was put on potassium and magnesium pills and have since been on one-a-day vitamins to try and keep my levels up.