Undiagnosed Symptoms Community
Low body temp and vomiting?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to undiagnosed symptoms, breathing difficulties, feeling cold, cough, diarrhea, dizziness, fainting, fever, indigestion, itching, nausea, numbness, pain (chronic), paralysis, rash, sweating, swelling, urination problems, and vomiting.

Low body temp and vomiting?

5 days ago my husband woke up with stomach pains, nausea, vomiting and felt feverish. We went to the ER yesterday and the doctor treated him for food poisoning (IV fluids and anti nausea medication). We were told he should be fine by today but we noticed his body temp lowered from 97 yesterday to 96 today and he is still vomiting with nausea and feeling feverish even after taking the prescribed anti nausea medication. Has anyone else had experience with what this could be if not food poisoning? Trying to avoid another trip to the ER.
Hi, does he have any gallstones? If he has stones, sometimes they try to pass and get stuck in the bile ducts in either the liver or the pancreas and cause infections, pain and nausea, vomiting...if he hasn't had any recent scans or blood tests this might be a good time to go to dr and get him to run some routines tests, ask about the gallbladder, perhaps and ultrasound, get liver enzymes checked, and also another frequent non-routine screen you can get done is for iron. Iron storage in excess in our body leads to many organs, tissues and joints being damaged and end in organ failure, but in the early stages patients present with many unexplained symptoms in the stomach and abdomen, and other complications the drs don't always pick up on.

Maybe a place to start...my husband was recently diagnosed and we've learned much about all the symptoms he suffered for over 10 years before receiving answers. Because the iron testing you need to do is not part of the routine CBC panel, it is too often missed, and symptoms attributed to other things.

Worth checking out, can't hurt to rule it, can hurt not to. He much organ damage, gallbladder is one, pancreas and stage 2 peri-portal fibrosis in liver. He is losing vision in his eyes as well.
Is he eating as he could be feeding the infection, just give him water so he doesnt dehydrate again.
I have hypothyroidism, low thyroid. My body temperature went down, vomiting, diarrhea, always felt cold and fatigued. I would ask the Family Physician and or Doctor in E.R. for a Complete Blood Count, Metabolic Panel, TSH(check the thyroid),and Lymes Disease test. Pray your hubby feels better soon.

Best Regards,
J
Hypothyroidism found in people with iron overload...

Complete Blood Count (CBC) will not show whether you are storing iron,,,the tests that show your body storage iron will be ferritin, transferrin saturation, TIBC, and serum iron.

Reason for people with iron overload to also have diagnosis of hypothyroidism is that iron deposits on thyroid and also pituitary gland, among other organs like liver first, then heart, then pancreas, brain, tissues and joints. Chronic fatigue is common first symptom along with arthritis type pain and muscle weakness, nausea, vomiting...

Also have liver enzymes tested...people with elevated liver enzymes that stay elevated and for no other reason (hepatitis, alcohol...) need to check whether iron overload is the problem. Those tests are AST, ALT and GGT.

Our drs missed all my husband's early warnings and symptoms, and now has irreversible damage to liver, pancreas, gallbladder, joints. He gets weekly phlebotomy's to get the iron down to proper levels.

Routine blood tests will NOT show iron overload. A dr may even tell you, based on the CBC's and your RBC count that you are anemic, however, you can be anemic and iron load at the same time, and drs are making the iron worse by prescribing iron supplements and in some cases even blood transfusions, and it is killing people, by adding more iron than body can handle, and they are already in iron overload to begin with.

It is very scary, it very common and the docs missing this important early discovery. I know this first hand and need to spread awareness, as I know that it takes many years for people to find out the hard way.
My apologies panda2526, I was not thinking about iron overload. Yes this can be misdiagnosed very easily. Thank you for the correction.
Best Regards,
J
No worries at all...just needed to clarify the regular blood panel thing that was mentioned, because the tests that showed in actual fact our true iron storage was not on the routine CBC panel...so I thought I'd mention that as it was missed, also there were no further investigations into why my husband's liver enzymes were elevated, and this should have been considered as a possibility as well (iron overload) when everything else is ruled out as a reason for elevation.

Just hoping to spread awareness more than anything...and how easily the symptoms mimic or even cause other conditions and when undetected, the damage from iron overload is progressive and life-threatening. My only wish is more drs were tuned in to early warnings, take everything into account, and as it is sush a simple blood test run the screen just to rule it out even. Because if it turns out someone is iron loading, it is such a simple fix if found early and leads to disease PREVENTION...which really is a drs mandate, but it seems in our case the drs. were more interested in writing prescriptions for pain, sleeping, and anti-depressants than in getting to the root cause of the problems...not just masking them.

Take care...