Undiagnosed Symptoms Community
Low platelet count and heavy clotting during menstruation
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to undiagnosed symptoms, breathing difficulties, feeling cold, cough, diarrhea, dizziness, fainting, fever, indigestion, itching, nausea, numbness, pain (chronic), paralysis, rash, sweating, swelling, urination problems, and vomiting.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Low platelet count and heavy clotting during menstruation

If a blood test showed that you have a 94 platelet count, indicating an impairment of some kind in your ability to produce platelets, and with that already being very low, if you are prone to heavy clotting during menstruation, would it be in your best interest, to avoid menstruating at all?  I understand that by administering a different dose of birth control medication, you can stop a woman from menstruating.  Would that prevent her from using what minimal platelets she has left for an unnecessary reason, until her platelet count issue could be resolved.
Related Discussions
3 Comments
Blank
It's never a good idea to avoid menstruation, no matter what current drugs on the market are capable of doing.  Also, those alternate forms of birth control do not always work right away and can cause spotting and bleeding for the first several months, so it wouldn't really be worth it in this situation.
Blank
Platelets of 94 is only a little low.  If your doctor is not concerned, I wouldn't worry.
Blank
always been a little anemic, but last counts were hemo 9.5, white 3.4, and platelets 94.  have an appt with a hemo/oncologist.  no diagnosis yet.  having heart palpitations tho... :(  scouring the internet for all possible reasons for across the board low numbers, that don't involve cancer.  Currently clinging to the fact that I have lost 45 lbs on a nearly vegetarian diet.  Since I didn't replace any B12, it seems I could have compromised my health.
Blank
Continue discussion Blank
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Undiagnosed Symptoms Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
242532_tn?1269553979
Blank
The 3 Essentials to Ending Emotiona...
Sep 18 by Roger Gould, M.D.Blank