Undiagnosed Symptoms Community
Lower Neck Lymph Node

This patient support community is for discussions relating to undiagnosed symptoms, breathing difficulties, feeling cold, cough, diarrhea, dizziness, fainting, fever, indigestion, itching, nausea, numbness, pain (chronic), paralysis, rash, sweating, swelling, urination problems, and vomiting.

Lower Neck Lymph Node

I have a question for anyone who can provide some assistance.  I have had a small, hard, movable lymph node on the lower bottom side of my neck, almost where the neck meets the shoulder for roughly 7 months.  It is about 1-1.5 cm, but its hard for me to tell.  I have had a sore throat for about a month and a stiff neck near the lymph node.  My lower back has begun hurting recently, but i have been doing athletic activities.  I have been to the doctors 4/5  times and they (3 doctors) have told me not to worry about this but I have done so much reading online that I am having a hard time not freaking out about it.  I am allowing the anxiety to take over.  I constantly touch the node and I sometimes feel like I am irritating it.  I am a 25yr male.

My doctor has given me treatment for post nasal drip and GERD for the sore throat.  The pnd medicine hasnt done much and I have had prednisone and am currently taking prevacid for the gerd, it seems to be helping slightly.

Should I question my doctors??  They seem completly sure that The lymph node is not any issue.  I also had a CBC done, which came back normal.  

I have had chronic neck issues that require chiropractic treatment.

Am I freaking out over nothing?  I need reassurance.
I too have had a small node in my neck for 7 months. I have been through the "freeking out" especially after reading things on the internet about Lymphoma. Do you have any other symptoms; fatigue, drentching night sweats, low grade fever, unintentional weight loss, itching, just not feeling well?  If not, then I would not worry about it. You mentioned that you constantly touch the node. All you are doing is irritating it. Nodes are very, very sensitive and take a while to go down. Since you have been irritating it, it could actually take 6 months to go down. I still feel for mine, but very gently. You are probably alright, try to relax......

Debbie
I was a mess for a while. Always on the internet looking up symptoms, etc. Then I went to my ENT and he said it was nothing. It would need to be the size of a grape for it to have lymphoma. I also had a full CBC that came out perfect. I finally convinced myself that I did not have any symptoms and I needed to stop the worrying. I still pay attention to it but I am not enveloped by it anymore only because I will not allow myself to be. By now, we both would be experiencing systemic symptoms if it was cancer.
how did you finally get over it.  I have periods that i can ignore it, but them something happens, my neck feel stiff or i accidentally touch it, and i am back online reading the same stuff that basically tells me i needed it removed.
Since you have seen doctors and they are not concerned AND have no other associated symptoms I would not worry anymore. Pay attention and make sure that the node does not get any bigger but stop the stress to yourself. I went through the same worring so I understand!
The sore throat and lower back pain have been the only other symptoms.  I will occasionally have an itch, but it hasnt been anything noticable.  No night sweats, no fever, some fatigue, but it is more of a depressed type (because i have been worrying), I havent been doing something and decided that i needed to rest.
I too have a swollen lymph node in the neck...been bothering me for months.  I have a cold now which is making it worse and the referred pain is huring my ear so went to ENT.  He basically said it wasn't that big but would do a CT scan.  Now I'm freaking out about that.  The thing that is in the back of head really bothering me is that I wake up almost every night sweating.  Not like full body sweating but the back of my neck is sweaty everytime I wake up.  So now I'm convinced I have cancer!  Really I'm turning into a hypocondriac.  Go to the ENT I would say.  He said I could wait and see or have the test.  I was like yeah I'll take the test...duh I don't want to just sit on cancer and look back and think I decided to take the wait and see approach.  So I guess we'll see in a couple weeks.