Undiagnosed Symptoms Community
Lower back pain, need possible causes to question physio

This patient support community is for discussions relating to undiagnosed symptoms, breathing difficulties, feeling cold, cough, diarrhea, dizziness, fainting, fever, indigestion, itching, nausea, numbness, pain (chronic), paralysis, rash, sweating, swelling, urination problems, and vomiting.

Hi,i am female 22yrs ol, normally healthy.
i have had lower back pain for over a year now with no diagnosis of yet. i have been to a rhumatologist who did not know. I had an MRI which didnt show anything. I have had a blood test with a ANA reading which was slightly raised but nothing to suggest the cause. I am now being refered to a physio therapist.

MY SYMPTOMS:Lower back pain worse when bending / lifting although not all the time. A constant dull ache in the lower back. Pain is worse when lying down, when lying on a harder surface my back feels like it drops and i get sharp shooting pains which go into my bottom and thighs. i then get stuck and have to roll or get someone to roll me over. The skin above this area also feels a bit numb and sometimes feels like it is burning (worse during period). I do get the shooting pains into my bottom and thigh if i do too much, becaus of this sometimes it makes it harder to walk and depending on how bad my legs feel like they are pulling up with the pain. Somedays i will be fine with no symptoms. I have also had problems with my wrists for 5 yrs and have trunk varicose veins in both legs.

I am getting annoyed that no one seems to believe me about my back problem, i can move here and there in my physical exams as i am very flexible. I know that you are unable to give a diagnosis but i am looking for any ideas to what could be causing this sothat i can do some research before visiting the physio, and ask them his is stressing me out as i am 22 yrs old i just want to be able to return to normal.

Thank you for you time, dee
Have you been to the gynecologist recently?  It might be possible that you have ovarian cysts as they can cause the exact symptoms you describe.  It might be worth a shot.

Shawn
Well  isn't that power for the course - if they don't know what it is, suggest a, "physio therapist".
Although in some case the problem can lay in the mind. It did my cousin and her cyropractors did suggested  "physio therapist" as the last resorts when they could not help her (the female cyropractor was our cousin too, a husband and wife team).
However,  I'd exhaust all physical avenues first.  Try other doctors. What one didn't think of and test for , another might. Try a cyropractor - he/she should take x-rays first to see what is going on, so as to know how to treat and to treat properly, if not they will irect you in which medical direction (if they know) to go in.  It could be related to female issues - Female pelvic disorders, or a matter of anything, just never know about the back.
I have had and lived with, almost constant back pain for eon and eons and eons, since the age of 16. Sometimes it is so bad I'm am bent over like a pretzel. It doesn't take much to hurt the back and it is very prevalent among us humans, with back pain being the #2 reason that Americans see their doctor .  
Here are some cause:
Small fractures to the spine from osteoporosis
Muscle spasm (very tense muscles that remain contracted)
Ruptured or herniated disk
Degeneration of the disks
Poor alignment of the vertebrae
Spinal stenosis (narrowing of the spinal canal)
Strain or tears to the muscles or ligaments supporting the back
Spine curvatures (like scoliosis or kyphosis) which may be inherited and seen in children or teens
Other medical conditions like fibromyalgia

Trying these suggestions might help elevate pain somewhat until you can get treatment:
Sit in a streight chair - no slumping.  I even put a pellow behind my back.
While sleeping, try lying in a curled-up, fetal position with a pillow between your legs. If you usually sleep on your back, place a pillow or rolled towel under your knees to relieve pressure.
Apply heat or ice to the painful area. Try ice for the first 48-72 hours, then use heat after that. Heat works for me!
Stretching and strengthening exercises might help such as yoga.
Walking, riding a stationary bicycle, and swimming are great. Aerobic activities can help blood flow to your back and promote healing. They also strengthen muscles in your stomach and back.

Most back problems will get better on their own unless other health issues are the causes. The important thins is to know when you need to seek medical help and when self-care measures alone will allow you to get better.

This is no fun and has no easy diagnose or solution - I feel for you.

Good Luck and feel better soon!

I was wondering deedees if you ever found out what was wrong with your back?  I too have lower back pain that when lying down it stiffens up and I have to grab onto something to roll over or have my husband help me roll over.  My back always feels like it has a sprain.  I have been to a neurologist who said that I have 2 bulging discs but nothing that requires surgery, an orthopedic who said nothing is wrong, physical therapy for a month, and my gynecologist who said I have cysts on my left ovary but nothing should be causing the low back pain.  I've had this for about 10 months now and I can't walk to exercise or anything.  After I'm done I can barely get to a chair because my back is in such pain and then I start getting muscle spasms.  I don't know where to go to next.  I'll take any suggestions.  Thanks.