Undiagnosed Symptoms Community
Lower jaw quivering in infant

A community for discussions on undiagnosed symptoms: breathing difficulties, feeling cold, cough, diarrhea, dizziness, fainting, fever, indigestion, itching, nausea, numbness, pain (chronic), paralysis, rash, sweating, swelling, urination problems, and vomiting.

Lower jaw quivering in infant

I was just wondering if it was normal for a 2month old to have occasional episodes of lower jaw quivering. He has also had his foot twitching a few times that lasted for a few seconds. I was just wondering if anyone has heard of this. Paranoid mom sorry. :)
Avatar n tn
Some newborn behaviors that concern parents are not signs of illness. They are usually due to an immature nervous system and will disappear in 3 or 4 months. Some common reflexes and behaviors include:

trembling chin
quivering lower lip
having hiccups
passing gas (this is not a temporary behavior)
making noises when sleeping (from breathing and moving). Also during light sleep, babies can normally whimper, cry, groan, or make other strange noises. If you use a nursery monitor don't over-react to these normal variations in sleep sounds.
sneezing
yawning
spitting up or burping
stiffening of the body after a noise or sudden movement (also called the startle reflex)
straining with bowel movements
clearing the throat (or gurgling sounds in the throat)
breathing irregularly (This is normal if your baby is content, the rate is less than 60 breaths per minute, any pauses are less than 10 seconds long, and your baby isn't turning blue. Sometimes babies take rapid, progressively deeper breaths to completely expand their lungs.)
trembling or jitteriness of arms and legs during crying is normal. Convulsions are rare. During convulsions babies also jerk, blink their eyes, rhythmically suck with their mouths, and don't cry. If your baby is trembling and not crying, it could be abnormal. Give her something to suck on. If the trembling doesn't stop when your baby is sucking, call your health care provider immediately.

Hi You don't need to apologise worrying is natural when you've got a young baby. My grandson did a lot of twitching when he was little and I will say what I said to my daughter if your really concerned go to your DR and have him checked over. Your Dr will understand I,m sure and congratulations on the birth of your baby. Take Care. Chris
Avatar n tn
Thanks for your help!