Lump behind ear in child
My 2 year old daughter has a pea sized lump behind her left ear on the bone.  The lump is hard, does not seem to have any give to it and does not move. It is not red, swollen or painful for her. She has no other sypmtoms of any illness. The lump has been there for over 2 months and when the doctor looked at and felt it at her check up she said it was a lymph node.  This has not gotten bigger or smaller, but I thought a lymph node would subside after an illness. I do not constantly touch it so it would not be reacting to touch. Is this common for a lymph node and what can I expect? What could this be?
-worried Mama-

Welcome to the MedHelp forum!
Pea sized lump behind the ear could be a lipoma (localized collection of fat), a cyst, an inflamed lymph node or a neurofibroma (localized harmless swelling in of nerve and connective tissue). Swollen lymph nodes behind ears could be due to chest infection, tonsillitis or pharyngitis, dandruff, infection of ear or even caries tooth, poor oral hygiene etc. At times they appear without any apparent cause. Watch the lump. Do not touch everyday but once in 10-15 days. If the lump increases in size, becomes painful, changes color, bleeds, changes shape or consistency or more similar lumps appear then consult a doctor.
Hope this helps. Do show this to your daughter’s pediatrician on the next visit. Please let me know if there is any thing else and do keep me posted. Take care!
A related discussion, lump behind the left ear was started.
A related discussion, Lump Behind the Ear: What is it? was started.
Looking for a Doctor?
Shop for health care like an expert. Find the best doctors based on reviews from patients like you.