Undiagnosed Symptoms Community
Lump on Buttocks

This patient support community is for discussions relating to undiagnosed symptoms, breathing difficulties, feeling cold, cough, diarrhea, dizziness, fainting, fever, indigestion, itching, nausea, numbness, pain (chronic), paralysis, rash, sweating, swelling, urination problems, and vomiting.

Lump on Buttocks

3 days ago I competed in a bicycle race (not sure if this is connected to my situation) and a few hours after the event I noticed a small lump on my buttocks quite close to my anus.  It was soar to the touch but otherwise no bother.  The next morning when I woke up it doubled in sized.  By the afternoon it grew to about 2 inches in length and 1 inch wide.  It is firm to the touch and seems to be located a little bit under my skin but not so deep that I can not feel it well.  It is not red or warm, just noticeably larger then the other side of my butt.  It concerned me so I went to a local general practitioner here in Poland were I am visiting for a few months.  The doctor asked quickly what was wrong and then did a very quick examination.  When I asked what was wrong he said it could be a few things and prescribed Augmentin 825 mg twice daily and Naproxenum 250 mg twice daily for a week.  I asked if it could be a perianal abscess or a hematoma and if it should be lanced and drained. He said told me it is best to wait and see if it gets worse and if it does go back to a doctor and have it looked at again.  

I normally would not second guess a doctors opinion but here in Poland doctors are famous for wrong diagnosis so I am not sure if I am nervous over nothing or have reason to question his diagnosis.  Everything I have read about a perianal abscess indicates it should be drained as quickly as possible and that Antibiotics are ineffective.  What else could it be if it is not an abscess?

My questions are 1) if you have enough information to suggest what my problem might be? 2) if you think the course of treatment prescribed is sufficient?

In the last 24 hours it has not changed at all and is the same size and characteristics.
I think so  from sitting and the BUTTget warm an wet and that makes bacteria from the warm your Dr should have lanced it so it could drained the bacteria it sound like you have a boil for now one thing you can do is a warm compress with some peroxide an sea breeze for the bacteria.Let your water be as warn as you can stand it. And you can soak in some  warm water with peroxide an sea breeze with vinegar about 4 times a day it will help bring the boil to a head if your dr will not lanced it for you. And get you some probiotic acidophilus and take it daily an it will help with the bacteria please let me know how you doing
Welcome to the MedHelp forum!
It is very difficult to say what the lesion actually is. If there is no pain, it is unlikely to be due to an abscess. It can be an abrasion or the skin getting roughened up due to probably unaccustomed cycling. This may remain same without any change for many days, and may not need any treatment except for may be an emollient cream
Yes, a deep peri-anal abscess may not be painful initially, but it can be caught on an ultrasound/CT scan. If in doubt, please consult another doctor.
Take care!