Undiagnosed Symptoms Community
Lump on neck and recurring numbness in thigh

This patient support community is for discussions relating to undiagnosed symptoms, breathing difficulties, feeling cold, cough, diarrhea, dizziness, fainting, fever, indigestion, itching, nausea, numbness, pain (chronic), paralysis, rash, sweating, swelling, urination problems, and vomiting.

I have two things going on:

1.  I have a small (dime-size) lump on the right side of my neck.  It is even with my ear near the base of my neck.  I have had it for approx. 3 years.  It is definitely someone in my neck vs. related to my skin as my skin appears normal.  It doesn't hurt and it doesn't move.  In fact it doesn't bother me at all and I've never really been concerned about it until a friend urged me to get it checked out.

2. My right thigh - depending on how I walk, how I sit, etc. - has a burning pain periodically.  I also experience numbness - all localized on the outside of my right thigh.  I am overweight, so am not sure if that is a cause - but there is no numbness in my feet or hands, or even my arms or left thigh - it is very much right thigh specific.

I'll also throw out there that I've been a little tired lately.  And had some aching all over - almost like "growing pains" when I was a kid - the same kind of sudden pain somewhere that goes as fast as it comes.  Mostly in my limbs.

So I'm not sure what this could be... well, I have some not very positive thoughts that are driving me crazy right now.  So any thoughts on that it might be, tests to request from my doctor (I have an appt next week), anything to calm me down from obsessing all weekend or preparing me for what I might have to deal with next week would be very much appreciated.  Thanks!
Thought I would add some more info...

I am 27 and female.  I was diagnosed with PCOS a year ago and have been on metformin - I am not on it right now (just changed jobs and moved cross country - trying to get a Dr).  Please let me know if I need to provide more info.  Thanks!

Most lumps in that site are due to infections or benign tumors of soft tissue origin. Behind the ear there is skin, fat, cartilage, bone, nerves, blood vessels, Lymph nodes, and salivary gland tissue (a portion of the parotid salivary gland extends behind the ear). A bump can develop from any of those structures, and could be due to a tumor (benign or not), an infection (Lymph node or skin), a swollen muscle or salivary gland, etc.
What is the size and constituency of the lump (soft, fleshy, firm, rubbery, or matted).Is it movable or fixed?

My suggestion would be to wait it out for a few weeks to see if it changes in size. If it gets smaller or remains the same, it was nothing. If it happens to get bigger, then make an appointment with your doctor.A biopsy of the lump may be needed.

Secondly,your right thigh numbness can be due to peripheral vascular disease leading to lack of blood supply to that area,compression of the nerve supplying that area,diabetes,thyroid or parathyroid disorder,abnormal levels of calcium, potassium, or sodium in your body,a lack of vitamin B12 or multiples sclerosis.

One by one all these possibilities have to be ruled out be examination and investigations like MRA,nerve conduction tests,blood sugar levels,thyroid profile,CT head and levels of the minerals(calcium,magnesium,potassium) in blood.A neurologist will be the best person to consult.

Hope it helps.Take care and pls do keep me posted on how you are doing or if you have any additional doubts
The lump on my neck isn't behind my ear - but below my ear at the base of my neck.  And I've had it for about three years - it started small and grew to its current size, then stopped growing.  I'm doubt that changes your suggestions, but just in case...

And to answer your questions - I would say that it is firm and definitely fixed.  I can move the skin over it, but not the actual lump.

Thanks for your thoughts.

From the description of the swelling ,it looks like a swollen lymph node. Lymph nodes are small (1-2cm) and bean-shaped nodes. they are very important to your body keeping you healthy. Lymphadenopathy (swollen lymph nodes) is usually caused by a viral or bacterial infection. Other causes include allergic reactions, arthritis, cancer, metabolic diseases, and an overactive thyroid (hyperthyroidism).

Soft nodes are most likely infection or inflammation, firm but rubbery nodes could be lymphoma and rock hard nodes are more likely from some other type of metastatic cancer not lymphoma.I feel that since the swelling is hard and fixed,a CT head(to rule out any bony swelling) and biopsy of the swelling (to find the cause of swelling) are required.

Hope my efforts to guide you will prove helpful. Take care and pls do keep me posted on how you are doing or if you have any additional queries.

While that doesn't help calm my nerves this weekend, it is very helpful in preparing for my drs. visit next week.  Thank you so much!
My leg was diagnosed as lumbar radiculopathy with treatment of physical therapy.

My lump she looked at very briefly and said it was a cyst and recommended NOT having it removed.  Should I push to have it removed?  Should I get a second opinion?

Thanks!