Undiagnosed Symptoms Community
Lump on neck

This patient support community is for discussions relating to undiagnosed symptoms, breathing difficulties, feeling cold, cough, diarrhea, dizziness, fainting, fever, indigestion, itching, nausea, numbness, pain (chronic), paralysis, rash, sweating, swelling, urination problems, and vomiting.

Lump on neck

I have a medium size lump on the right side of my neck about 1.5inches in diameter. It is just below the jaw line near the back of the jaw. It is not painful at all and it is slighty visually noticeable. It looks as if my neck is swollen. I have had this lump for nearly two months. When i touch it it feels like some sort of tissue build-up. It is below the skin and the only visible part is the "swelling".

It started when i let out a big yawn and it felt like something snapped in my neck, as if a muscle had torn. I had an intense pain in my neck for about 3 seconds and then almost immediatly after my neck appeared to be swollen. My girlfriend noticed it immediatley, but i had to point it out to other people to get them to notice. Again, there is very little or no pain at all, i sometimes forget it exists. I thought it would go away after a while but the lump is still very visible.

I was wondering if this could in fact be a torn muscle curled up under my jaw line, or if this could be something more serious such as swollen lymph nodes. Also, could a "walk-in physician" diagnose something like this or would i have to see a specialist.
1 Comment
Go see a doctor and get it checked.  Bumps don't just occur on their own. Don't try to "pop" it either as it could be puss filled even though it is firm.  Any general physician will do: hospital, office, clinic.  A good physician's assistant should also be able to help. If you want you can see a skin  specialist (dermatologist).    Don't delay.  Good luck