Undiagnosed Symptoms Community
Lump on or around 10th Rib

This patient support community is for discussions relating to undiagnosed symptoms, breathing difficulties, feeling cold, cough, diarrhea, dizziness, fainting, fever, indigestion, itching, nausea, numbness, pain (chronic), paralysis, rash, sweating, swelling, urination problems, and vomiting.

Lump on or around 10th Rib

In March I found a lump on my lower right rib (like misshapen, my left was kinda similar but not as pronounced. almost like a small balloon on the tip of it).  It wasn't painful but after feeling it for awhile, it started to hurt.  I went to my PCP who diagnosed it as a lipoma and said we would watch it.  I went to Plastics to see if they could remove it.  He stated it wasn't a lipoma but felt like a lump on my rib.  He ordered a CXR and CT, neither of which revealed anything.  He said to take some ibuprofen.  Its still bothering me, I have two small children and am worried that its something more serious. My only other symptom is back pain but I've been experiencing that off and on since we've been remodeling our home.  The pain mostly subsides after taking 2 ibuprofen.  I had a bad fall (flat on my back) in Feb, so I do have a history of trauma.  I'm curious what other type of inflammatory responses I could be having related to this lump on my rib.  I keep thinking that since nothing was seen on my CXR and CT, that it must be a muscle or inflammatory response not a tumor.  I do have psoriasis, and have had it for 10+ years so I'm wondering if it could be arthritis related to that.  I have chronic outbreaks of psoriasis on my lower back, but what could cause the lump. . poorly healed break? infection? tumor?

Thoughts please.  I do have a follow-up appointment with my PCP next week, but he thinks I'm being paranoid and I just need to let it go.  If its something more serious, I want to know ASAP.  I have a 3 year old and 10 month old that I need to fight for.
Generally a lipoma is just a lump of benign fat cells that will
cause worry. For peace of mind, sign a release form & get a copy
of the CT report & any labs done. It should give the radiologist
impression along w/ size. If it gets bigger, you'll have a copy to compare if any other CT's are done. It can probably have a
needle aspiration if you want but I'd get report & just keep a
look-see. It's a good idea to keep a 'hm-health-file' on the
whole family. Records are tossed after aprox 7 yrs.  Scans give
off a signal to determine solid/fluid/?.  A benign tumor may be
just a fatty cell. If In doubt, they recommend testing. Gd-luck
I have a lump on the lower part of my left rib that my doctor called a lipoma also he told me not to worry about it. But I do worry. I have three children to fight for also. This summer I was dianosed with a rare cervical Cancer, luckily it was incitu which is non invasive and it was removed. But it started me worring about this lump. It is painful and seems to cause pain in my diaphram area, the pain radiates through my left breast and into my back between my shoulder blades. It is very uncomfortable. It is not painful all of the time but when it seems to be there I have thought it maybe gas pain, anxiety,hernia even heart problems. I am just not sure if I can excuse this lump as being benign fatty tissue not knowing for sure what it really is and why it is painful.  What do you recommend that I ask my doctor to do?

Thank you.