Undiagnosed Symptoms Community
Lump/thickening under arm after mastectomy

This patient support community is for discussions relating to undiagnosed symptoms, breathing difficulties, feeling cold, cough, diarrhea, dizziness, fainting, fever, indigestion, itching, nausea, numbness, pain (chronic), paralysis, rash, sweating, swelling, urination problems, and vomiting.

I am a six year breast cancer survivor.  I am 58 yr. old and assuming that I am through menopause.  Last night I felt a lump and/or thickening under my left arm (original side of breast cancer).  I have had a double mastectomy and adjuvant chemo after the surgery.  The type of cancer was ductal and it had spread within the breast, but not into the lymph nodes.  Tumor was 2.5 cm.  Since the diagnosis, I tend to be anxious about every lump or bump.  The lump that is now under my arm feels very much like the fibrocystic lumps that I used to have in my breast.  Considering that the breast and all the tissue has  been removed, as well as 14 lymph nodes, with the original surgery, should I be anxious about this?  My yearly appointment with my oncologist is not until January.
I'd say get it checked out now and don't wait until January.  It is probably nothing, or scar tissue or something but you can't be too careful with your history.

Good luck.
My Mother in law, who is 71 is also a double masectomy breast cancer survivor, who just discovered an egg sized lump under her arm/pit.  I will check back to see your progress and let you know what hers was if you'd like.  she recieved an MRI today.