Undiagnosed Symptoms Community
Lump under skin in my wife's upper back

This patient support community is for discussions relating to undiagnosed symptoms, breathing difficulties, feeling cold, cough, diarrhea, dizziness, fainting, fever, indigestion, itching, nausea, numbness, pain (chronic), paralysis, rash, sweating, swelling, urination problems, and vomiting.

Lump under skin in my wife's upper back

This weekend my wife tasked me to feel an area of her upper back, just below her neck and to the left, between her shoulder blade and her spine. I felt the area and found a lump, just under the skin, about the size of a lima bean. I thought it felt somewhat rubbery, and I could grab the sides of it and pull it away a little, but it's in a wierd place for a growth of this kind. She also has a much smaller one right where her skull and neck come together. I do know there are lymph nodes in that area, but I don't think there are any in between the shoulder blades. I am very nervous for her, and she goes to a surgeon on friday for a consult. her primary doctor looked at it, and refered her to the surgeon. She already had an apointment with the surgeon for what we believe is gall baldder issues ( nausea, pain in the epigastric area going to her back and shoulders, lack of appitite: already had a haita scan that showed not much). Any ideas what the lumps could be?
I meant asked, not tasked. That sounds awful! Sorry.
The lump could be a lipoma...which is a benign growth. My husband has one on his forehead and they are fairly common. It's good she is seeing a surgeon. Let us know what you learn.

Good luck,

Hudson
I had a lump on my upper right back.  My family doctor thought it was a lipoma, my surgeon at consult thought it was a cyst.  At surgery today the surgeon said she had never seen one like mine.  It could be a lump that formed from a bug bite last spring or it could be cancer.  We have to wait for the pathologist report next week.  Have your wife get it checked and removed no matter what it is thought to be asap and I hope it's a lipoma (benign tumor) or a cyst.  
Wow! I forgot I wrote this here! Well, needless to say, it was nothing (I don't even remember what the diagnosis was, either lipoma or infected/enlarged benign lymph node). The sad thing is I can't tell you if it there anymore or not, as she has decided to leave me. Anyway, I figured after 10 months I should get back to you all. Thank you all for your concern in this matter.