Undiagnosed Symptoms Community
MRI: Possible Bone Marrow Disorder (Leukemia or Lymphoma)

This patient support community is for discussions relating to undiagnosed symptoms, breathing difficulties, feeling cold, cough, diarrhea, dizziness, fainting, fever, indigestion, itching, nausea, numbness, pain (chronic), paralysis, rash, sweating, swelling, urination problems, and vomiting.

I have had pain in my knees for approximately 5 years. I have argued with my doctor about getting tests done and finally they performed an MRI of my right knee. I was shocked when I got the results. The radiologist stated "scattered round areas of increased proton-density signal, increased T1 fat saturation signal, and decreased routine T1 signal in distal shaft of the femur and the proximal shaft of the tibia are recognized. No evidence of degenerative arthritis, meniscal or ligamentous abnormality or joint effusion. Abnormal areas in the bone marrow of the distal femur and proximal tibia which are nonspecific, but which may be seen in infiltrative neoplastic disease such as lymphoma or leukemia." I am not sure what this means. My doctor ordered blood work and it was normal, she ordered a bone scan that showed there is a symmetrical uptake in the proximal right tibia which corresponds to 1 of the areas of marrow signal abnormality. The x-rays of my knees came back as normal. I am confused as to what this all means and I do not seem to be able to get any answers. They have referred me to a hematologist and a sports medicine doctor. Can anyone help me understand?

This discussion is related to Diagnosing bone marrow infiltrating disease.
Welcome to the site and to the community. You have come to a place where people are very supportive and have a lot of information.
I would like to point out that as the information on your left says, this is only my personal advice and you should always consult a doctor with problems first. Also, while it is
understandable to want information or advice about medication/s you should never alter or stop without speaking to the prescribing doctor first.
The advice I give is from personal knowledge and or experience, this does not mean I am a health professional or that my advice should be
taken over a health professionals. If I am not able to help, rest assured there will probably be more people to help. This post is mainly for basic
information and to let you know that while I do not have any advice for you, it is worth it to stick around.
Welcome to the MedHelp forum!
Since there is increased proton density and non specific changes, chances of hematoma, bleeding or increased bone marrow activity in the thigh bone is possible. However, it cannot be said so with certainty.
Abnormal weight bearing on the knee joint is also a possibility. Follow this up with the hematologist and sports injury specialist. Take care!

Hi Laura,

We would love to help you. It will be more easier for me to comment if you can send me your reports. I will discuss the same with one of the best doctor in India and get back to you at the earliest.

You can reach me at amita.***@****

Thank you to all of those who are taking the time to help me in this situation. I cannot get any answers from my doctor, she actually told me she did not know what to do. I am in awe and terrified. I obtained a copy of my MRI today if anyone would like to see them they may have a better understanding of what I am talking about. You can message me and I will provide my email address. I have been waiting a month for some details and I feel that my doctor should be able to provide me with something.
Thank you again.