Undiagnosed Symptoms Community
Many Undiagnosed Symptoms

This patient support community is for discussions relating to undiagnosed symptoms, breathing difficulties, feeling cold, cough, diarrhea, dizziness, fainting, fever, indigestion, itching, nausea, numbness, pain (chronic), paralysis, rash, sweating, swelling, urination problems, and vomiting.

Many Undiagnosed Symptoms

It all started last year when I started to have abnormal sensations in my right foot. It was a warming/numbing feel that came and went. I then started to have the same sorts of feelings in my arms and legs and at one point my whole left arm went numb. I saw many specialists that did all sorts of tests and nothing was found.
Since then I have had a burning feeling in my eyes. I have also had a reocurring burning feeling in my left shoulder. Almost every day I feel fatigued and just generally not well.
Recently, I have developed a strange sort of rash on my arms and hands. It's a cluster of red spots that seem to come and go on hands and arms, as well as other places. Sometimes it is more severe than others.

Any thoughts? I can't seem to think of anything this could be that hasn't been tested for.

Thanks.
Have you seen a neurologist or rhematologist?  It could be an autoimmune problem.
I saw two neurologists. Had several MRI's done, LP, bloodwork etc. They didn't find anything.

What kinds of autoimmune problems cause these symptoms?
i think that the rash could be important to your diagnosis, could you explain it a little more?
Joelski,
You first posted 15 months ago, and received advice from people who thought your symptoms might be tick borne infection.   The moderator removed those posts when someone else complained.
http://www.medhelp.org/forums/neuro/messages/34349.html

When the physician replied, he responded that Lyme Disease could cause your symptoms, and made some specific suggestions.
If you are interested in finding information about tick borne infections, I may be able to help.

Wishing you the best,
Carol
I had MANY lyme tests done, all came back negative. I even had an LP done. All the doctors said there was no way it was lyme.

The rash is a series of small red spots on my hands and arms. They are not raised, they are below the skin and very slight and splotchy. Sometimes when I get hot or do physical activity they get worse and become very visible on my forearms. I also have white spots that come and go that I have seen similarities to "Bier spots". They seem to be different than the other rash I have. But both seem to be getting worse with time.
You said that all the Lyme tests were negative.
Well.

The lab tests for Lyme Disease are not reliable.
The initial test that most doctors order, the ELISA, can miss more than half the people who have Lyme.
The Western Blot IgG and IgM are better, but only test for antibodies to one strain, and there are many strains of Lyme bacteria.

Because of this, physicians are supposed to diagnose Lyme based on the patient's symptoms.  This is known as a clinical diagnosis.
Many doctors are not willing to make a clinical diagnosis of Lyme.
They run the tests and tell the patient that he doesn't have Lyme.

Physicians who are very experienced in diagnosing and treating Lyme know that they should use a specialty lab, such as Igenex or MDL.
Patients who have been ill for a long time may not show many antibodies to the Lyme bacteria, as their immune system is compromised.

If you do have a tick borne infection, it may be more than just Lyme.
Co-infections include Babesiosis, Bartonella, Erlichia, mycoplasma.

LymeInfo.net is a rich resource for information.
Tick borne coinfections:  http://www.lymeinfo.net/coinfections.html

LymeNet dot org  has a flash discussion group that is helpful for newbies.
They can provide you with information about getting tested and finding a physician.

Carol
I will push to have more lyme tests done, but I don't want to just assume it is Lyme because we don't know that yet. Honestly, I am becoming more and more anxious about this since my symptoms are getting progressively worse. And I am especially worried about the rash on my hands, and the burning eye pain. I suspect it could mean internal problems (I had a liver test done a while ago and they said the tests came back abnormal).
Have they tested you for autoimmune diseases like lupus?
The Canadian Lyme Foundation has a good page with rash pictures.
http://www.canlyme.com/patsymptoms.html
Click on "rash."

Bartonella causes rashes too.  These can look like stretch marks, long red marks like scratches, or like pimples.
Rash on the hands and feet can be a symptom of Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever, although I think you get very sick with this.

If the Lyme bacteria infect the cranial nerves, eye symptoms may be a problem.
There are a number of people at LymeNet with eye problems due to Lyme.

In some people, tick borne disease can trigger autoimmune problems.
Carol