Undiagnosed Symptoms Community
Mega doses of Vitamin D

A community for discussions on undiagnosed symptoms: breathing difficulties, feeling cold, cough, diarrhea, dizziness, fainting, fever, indigestion, itching, nausea, numbness, pain (chronic), paralysis, rash, sweating, swelling, urination problems, and vomiting.

Mega doses of Vitamin D

I was diagnosed with a severe case of low vitamin D levels and prescribed 50,000 units every other day by my physician.  I decided to seek a second opinion and that doctor said the same thing.  After taking the prescription for over a couple of months, I began to wake up throughout the night with horrible low back and hip pain.  Within a few days of stopping the Vitamin D, my pain began to go away and after a week, it was gone all together.  To complicate things more, I had Parathyroid disease and Thyroid cancer in 2002 and am worried maybe there is a link.  I feel I need to take the supplements for the symtoms (symptoms) I having from the low levels of vitamin d but, I'm worried, of the long term effects.  
jvshg
1 Comment
Thanks for writing to the forum.
Generally hyperparathyroidism and parathyroid disease are associated with high calcium in blood and thus low Vitamin D levels. Vitamin D only helps the human intestine to absorb calcium. Vitamin D doses increases blood calcium levels. Vitamin D deficiency causes muscle aches and bone pain. Parathyroid hormone levels too should be measured.
It is difficult to comment beyond this at this stage. Please let me know if there is any thing else and do keep me posted. Take care!
A related discussion, Vitamin D was started.