Undiagnosed Symptoms Community
Menopause and Yeast Infections

This patient support community is for discussions relating to undiagnosed symptoms, breathing difficulties, feeling cold, cough, diarrhea, dizziness, fainting, fever, indigestion, itching, nausea, numbness, pain (chronic), paralysis, rash, sweating, swelling, urination problems, and vomiting.

Menopause and Yeast Infections

For the past 8 years, at the beginning of menopause, I have been PLAGUED by yeast infections and vaginal wall thinness. (Before menopause I never had yeast infections.) My vaginal wall is so thin that sex is now impossible. Even Pap smears are a big deal.
About 3 years ago, I began losing my hair and now am bald. At the same time, I got uveitis in one eye making my vision 20/400 in that eye. A year later, I got uveitis in the other eye. Thankfully, cleared up by my eye doctor who had me take every test imaginable -- all negative.
I have a rash on my back, I am over a hundred pounds overweight -- even though I work out 5 days a week and eat reasonably well.
My thyroid tests normal for all tests. Everything tests normal.
Doctors tell me that I am unique and unusual. In health issues, that is NOT desirable.
My own theory is that it is somehow involved with massive yeast infections and hormones (including thyroid, estrogen, progesterone, and all the others) but that is a self diagnosis.
I do not have insurance and even though my doctors are cooperative and wonderful, to avoid too many visits, I try to self diagnose. Any insight would be appreciated. I am tired of being big, bald, sometimes blind and always itchy!
I don't believe blindness and baldness are symptoms of yeast infections. However, yeast infections are one of the signs of menopause. Have you had you levels checked to make sure that it is menopause that you are experiencing? Sorry I'm not of much help but I try.
Yeast infections are not a sign or symptom of peri-menopause or menopause.  Thinning of the vaginal wall is.  Yeast is always present in the body.  It is kept in balance by bacteria.  When you take an anti-biotic or other medication that kill bacteria, you create an imbalance in bacteria/yeast present and the yeast has an opportunity to take over.  You need to re-populate the bacteria on the skin and in the body by eating bacteria via foods like yogurt.  Get rid of the anti-bacterial soaps, shampoos, and other body products.  Everytime you use them, you kill off the good bacteria along with the bad, leaving yourself open to infections such as yeast. The bacteria on the body are your little guards and soldiers that keep bacterial and virul invaders out.  Without this bacteria, you are left open for other bad bacteria and viruses to enter the body and make you sick. This may contribute to your itching. To help prevent dry skin during menopause, you might speak to your doc about taking Omega 3 caps, kelp for iodine that may help "feed" the Thyroid and help it do it's job better, B-12 for energy, and Folic Acid to help prevent anemia.  Good luck