Undiagnosed Symptoms Community
Mesh Infection

This patient support community is for discussions relating to undiagnosed symptoms, breathing difficulties, feeling cold, cough, diarrhea, dizziness, fainting, fever, indigestion, itching, nausea, numbness, pain (chronic), paralysis, rash, sweating, swelling, urination problems, and vomiting.

Mesh Infection

I had a bilateral mastechtomy and tram flap surgery on May 5, 2006.  I developed a seroma under my left breast.  The surgeon kept removing the fluid and submitted the fluid for lab.  The result was entrococide.  Was referred to infectious disease doctor and was cultured again.  The result was staphylococcus Aueus  (Oxacillin Resistant).  Was put on zyvox for 4 weeks, and will continue on bactrium for long term.  Am on the 4th week of zyvox.  My drainage is mostly clear and is moderate, but slightly less than before.  Have pain in lower abdomen, which gets worse by walking and as the day grows longer.  No systematic problem-like fever or vomiting.  The recomendation of the surgeon is if the drainage does not stop or if I develop a systomatic problem, then another surgery will be done to remove the mesh.

What are the consequences of removing the mesh, or is it better that I live with the drainage for a long time if I do not have the systematic problem.

Why do I have pain?
1 Comment
sorry to hear you have infection of the mesh. i too have one of my mesh in the abdomen following hernia repair over 3yrs ago which i got from having a angiogram. whilst our infections are different i assume the results are similar. the removal of mesh is a big op and may cause other probs, and may not be able to be repaired again, which is why they try to do the antibiotic thing first. after doing it for a while now its wearing both mentally and physically as im sure you know and pain might be from adhesions? look at mesh infections in google and loads of good stuff comes up for you to read. dont jump in where angels fear to tread! good luck