Middle to Upper back/ Lung Pain
Hello, I am a 31 year old ex smoker (smoked for 12 years), about 2 weeks ago I had what felt like a pulled muscle in my shoulder blade after a long flight, the next day I had what felt like a very strong back spasm that moved across my back, i had to lie still for about an hour for it to pass, felt like i might be having a heart attack or even a panic attack. The following day I woke up with a dull pain in my upper right back , the pain has remained, somedays its worse and it is worse when i twist or bend to stretch and pick things up but doesnt feel like muscle pain. The pain goes away at night and does not stop me sleeping, for around the first hour when i am awake I have very little or no pain and then it comes on and stays all day. Feels like a dull ache, slightly pins n needles like and is just above the bottom of my ribcage, its mainly on the right but by end of the day pain feels like it is all across my back. Please can someone help as I am so worried it is lung cancer, could it be pleurisy, or anything else. Am I too young to have got cancer? In the last 24 hours I have started getting a similar pain in my left lower back just above my hip which comes and goes, could be completely unrelated. The pain in my back seems to be worse if I sit in a hard chair or lie on a hard surface. Please can someone shed some light on possible causes, my wife is having our first child in 3 months and am so scared. Thanks for any help or advice. S
Hi have you got a dry cough or bring up any blood or green or brown stuff. If not then it's most likely not to be cancer. Just because you smoke that dose not mean you will get cancer and dye young. I know people who have never smoked or drank and got cancer. Yes smoking dose help make problems worse, if your having problems sleeping then i would sleep with pillows propping you up so you are sleeping sitting up. I would go see your doctor an get a chest x-ray and for them to have a listen then they will be able to tell you what is wrong. I would try not to panic because that will make you feel worse, take care and i would go see the doctor today don't leave it to long.
It could be a kidney infection. Usually you feel that in your flank area where the kidneys are located. Any other signs of a urinary tract infection? Frequent urination, feel like ur not emptying fully, dark cloudy or blood in urine? Go to ur doc and get checked out.
sounds to me like its lung cancer you need to call a cancer specialtist and get an appointment and go in and get checked.
It doesn't have to be cancer. There was nothing stated about a cough. You can't jump to conclusions like that. It is so alarming and unhelpful to post a commentlike that. Recommending to see a dr is a good idea, but to panic someone that is already frightened is wrong and quite frankly, rude.

Thanks to those who have commented so far, i do appreciate your time and input. I have no other symptoms, no cough, not coughing up blood, i am very fit and healthy, cycling 150+ kms per week, it doesnt hurt more when i breathe in deeply. The pain seems to start right side of my upper back and then by the end of the day it is on the left hand side. I know going to get a chest xray is the best option and i will persue this if this doesnt improve by after the weekend. Thanks, S
I read your post again, any shortness of breathe? I just saw that you were on a flight. You have to watch for clots, PE. Get checked out, that's my advice.