Undiagnosed Symptoms Community
Mono and Physical activity

This patient support community is for discussions relating to undiagnosed symptoms, breathing difficulties, feeling cold, cough, diarrhea, dizziness, fainting, fever, indigestion, itching, nausea, numbness, pain (chronic), paralysis, rash, sweating, swelling, urination problems, and vomiting.

Mono and Physical activity

I found out this past summer that I was positive for mono but dont actually know when I first got it.  I am also a competitive long distance runner so it was really hard for me to deal with.  The only symptoms I felt were extreme fatigue and decreased running performance. I didnt stop running all together, but I drastically backed off on my mileage and stayed away from intense running.  I also spent most of the summer sleeping about 16 hours day. I started feeling better, still a little tired but better, and got back into competitive running in mid september.  I felt fine up until now,  but all of a sudden I feel deprived of energy and unrefreshed after sleeping for a number of hours.  I also feel cold a lot...but I am a cold natured person. The thought of going out for a run seems really hard for me right now, but Iam in mid cross country season and I dont want to back off for long if I can help it.  I dont know if i am just getting used to being lethargic because I am not working right now or if I actually need the sleep.  I also started taking birth control and dont know if that has anything to do with.  Any advice would be greatly appreciated!  Thanks!

I am sorry to learn you are suffering from infectious mononeucleosis.

“A feeling of fatigue or tiredness may persist for months following the acute phase of the illness. It is recommended that patients with mono avoid participation in any contact sports during the first six to eight weeks following the onset to prevent trauma to the enlarged spleen.” Refer: http://www.medicinenet.com/infectious_mononucleosis/page3.htm

So I know it will be difficult for you to accept, but you must avoid sports now. Birth control pills are known to cause mood problems, but not fatigue.

You can contact a physician trained in sports medicine and discuss your sport schedule with him.

Hope this helps. If you need more help, please feel free to contact. I’ll be happy to answer your queries. Please keep me posted.

I forgot to mention that although I was tested positive in the summer...I think I have had it since at least last december.  I tested positive for EBV last december, which i eventually figured out was the same thing as mono. So really I have had it for a while.  The doctor told me I could continue to run since it is a non-contact sport. He also checked my spleen and found no problems. I really didnt have the whole sore throat, swollen glands and spleen...all I felt and am feeling somewhat now is fatigue and slight fever. My bIood work was all normal as well except for the positive test. I also went to a clinic specifically for mono and the doctor there told me I must have experienced mono as a child and not any time recently as I would have recalled having a sore throat.  This confused me even more and made me feel like a wimp for being tired and unable to do much each day.  I am wondering if I have chronic fatigue syndrome...apparently there is no way to test for that.  I just wish a doctor could tell me exactly what is wrong with me!

Maybe you should explore other causes of fatigue. Please refer: http://www.emedicinehealth.com/fatigue/page2_em.htm

So maybe you should test for diabetes and hypothyroidism to start with. Please let me know if there is any thing else.