Undiagnosed Symptoms Community
Mono relapses

This patient support community is for discussions relating to undiagnosed symptoms, breathing difficulties, feeling cold, cough, diarrhea, dizziness, fainting, fever, indigestion, itching, nausea, numbness, pain (chronic), paralysis, rash, sweating, swelling, urination problems, and vomiting.

Mono relapses

So I had a fairly severe, but short, case of mono about 2 and a half years ago. About a year and a half ago, I started having these bizarre periods that last 5 or 6 days where my eyes sort of hurt and I would feel pretty fatigued-- it's like a mild version of what it felt like to have mono. No matter what I do, I can't shake these relapse-type things, and I get them about once every 2 to 3 months. They're not so bad I have to miss work, but they're getting very aggravating.

My doctor had no idea what the problem was, but I was wondering if anyone else out there has had the same sort of experience, and if so, what eventually happened, if anything. I'm almost sure it's related to once having mono, because it's only been happening in the time since I got it.

Infectious mononucleosis is caused by EBV(Epstein barre virus ) and is characterized by fever, sore throat, muscle soreness,diarrhea ,abdominal pain and fatigue.The important thing is that the virus lies dormant in the B cells indefinitely after symptoms have disappeared, and resurface at a later date.

Can be confirmed by monospot test and Epstein-Barr virus antigen by immunofluorescence tests. Treatment is with penicillin or erythromycin. Available antiviral drugs have no significant effect on the overall outcome of mono

I feel that an evaluation by a physician is necessary to confirm whether your symptoms are due to mono as without examination,diagnosis is tough.Antibiotics can hence be started.If mono is ruled out then other possibilities have to be probed.They include anemia,hypoglycemia,diabetes,hypothyroidism,hormonal disorders,depression and chronic fatigue syndrome(often manifests with widespread myalgia and arthralgia, cognitive difficulties, chronic mental and physical exhaustion.)

Hope this information helps.Take care and pls do keep me posted on how you are doing or if you have any additional queries.Kind regards.
sounds like chronic fatigue syndrome - watch the "monospot" test.  I had severe mono - to the point where my lymphnodes where so swollen they showed up in a lung xray - my point is that I tested negative 4 x with the monospot test.  I was finally rushed to the ER where they did all the necessary tests to confirm severe Mono.  Was out of work for 3 months.  CBC was 22,000.  I mention this because I subsequently got a 2nd diagnosis of CFS when my symtoms (symptoms) never diminished.  20 years later, I can work, raise kids, etc., but cannot overdo anything or I will find myself bedridden with exhaustion  - good luck.
thanks for your responses.

yeah, i've been worrying about it being cfs, and my mono sounds similar to yours, though probably not as bad (huge lymph nodes, bad strep throat) and i do agree that these "relapses" tend to happen when i shock my body in some way (like starting work as a bike messenger in the winter), but the thing is that i don't get them often enough... i guess i wouldn't call my fatigue a chronic problem.

anyway, as i've already tested positive for mono, i don't see how doing another test to confirm that i once had mono would help. my doctor tested my blood about 2 months ago, but nothing else came up. i guess i shouldn't be looking for much that i can do about this, since there are those who have this type of thing, only more severe, but i do want to know: when you "overdo" it, what's the best thing you do to feel better eventually (other than sleep a lot)? do you take any sort of medication, etc etc?
Yes another test for Mono is pointless.  Your acute "mono" symptoms have subsided.  I want to stress that I am NO DOCTOR, and there certainly could be other medical reasons for your fatigue - - so I would definitely have a good doctor and (stick with one doctor and don't clinic hop) one who will not shrug off your vague symptoms.  There is no specific test for CFS though, which makes the diagnosis one of "ruling out" many other diseases/conditions.    

For me personally, the best way to describe the past 20 years, is that my body works, but it works like a bicycle with a kink in its chain.  Steady steady steady is the best advice I can give - and moderate everything you do - from food, drink, sleep and excercise regularly - but not excessively.   (I get a minimum of  8 every night )  My sleep pattern used to be very interrupted even though  was extremely fatigued, I would wake 4 - 6 times a night.  My doctor ended up putting my on an anti-depressant "wellbutrin".  It is a seritonin re-uptake anti-depressant, which is supposed to help with sleep at night.  I take one pill, every morning - It doesn't cause drowsiness, but whatever it does in the brain, it works - and now I can sleep like a baby at night.     And no, I wasn't "depressed" -so it took some convincing on the part of the doctor to get me to even agree to take the medicine.   I also take advil - everyday.  which I don't endorse, but for me personally, it takes away my aches, so the tradeoff, for me, is worth it.

Good luck!

Good luck with everything.