Muscle tension behind ears/eyes hurting

I have a very poor eye sight with high astigmatism in both eyes.  I wear toric contact lenses every day.  Unfortunately, at the end of the day, I have to switch to eye glasses because my lenses are not for a 24-hr use.

A couple of yeras ago, I experienced a sudden and severe eye strain -- it was when my near vision suddenly grew bad.  I was 42 years old.  I got new pair of glasses, and that's when my problem started: every time I'd wear my glasses (not contacts), I would get a pretty bad headaches.  I told my optometrist about the problem, and he told me it was because I was highly astigmatic and the distance between my eyes and the lenses were creating some distortion.  Basically, he told me there was no cure for that.  He advised me to keep wearing the glasses so that my eyes would get adapted to the new prescription.  However, the problem didn't disappear even after many days of continuous wearing of the glasses.  In fact, it just got worse -- this time the muscles behind both my ears (where the lower back of the skull can be felt) started to tense up and the pain was sharp and agonizing.  It feels like a sudden spasm. So, I was no longer able to wear my glasses more than a couple of minutes at a time.  At times, the muscle spasm starts right after I put on my glasses.  Since the onset of the problem, I got two pairs of new prescription glasses -- I even asked for a "milder" correction version, hoping it would help, but to no avail -- and they still cause the same problem to this day.  Naturally, I gave up on wearing glasses at the end of the day when I come home from work.  I just go half-blind (after removing the contact lenses) and unable to watch TV or do anything that involves reading.  What I don't understand is that before the strain, I never had any problems with my prescription glasses.  Is there any cure/solution to my problem?  Should I go to a different optometrist?  I'm not sure.  Any help/advice will be greatly appreciated.  Thank you.
Did you get a field of vision test when you had the eye strain that was severe episode?  Did they rule out Fuch's disease?  I'm reminded of Little House on the Prairie where they thought it was eye strain and it turned out the optic nerve was damaged/weakened by Scarlet fever Mary Ingalls had when she was younger.  Did you have any kind of illness like that?
Are your glasses thick, and thus putting more weight on your ears?  Are you using glass or plastic lenses?  Are you wearing the lightest weight smallest glasses frames possible given your prescription?  Have you ever considered a TMJ issue that may be playing into that pain and muscle spasm behind your ears?