My 3 diagnosed w/ mastoiditis. Should she be hospitalized?
My three year old has a history of ear infections. She started telling me her ear hurts behind her ear. I looked and it is red and swollen. I thought it was just another bad ear infection. I tool her to the local clinic and he said she has mastoiditis. he said he has nver had a case of it. He called her ENT who was not in. The on call ENT said to do blood work. It did not show elevated white blood cells. So, they think they caught it early and gave her a shot of antibiotic and a prescription. I of course googled mastoiditis when i got home and everything I read seems to suggest she should be hospitalized. Should I call her pediatrician or just wait it out and see if she gets better? I would have taken her to her pediatrician but they could not get her in today.
I would never second guess my maternal instinct. An ENT should know what they are doing, but if your not confortable with the answer, You need a second opinion. We have Dornbeckers in Portland Oregon here, and they are AMAZING with kids! I don't know where you live but I'd stay on it til you feel she's okay.
Welcome to the MedHelp forum!
There are many causes of ear pain. These include: impacted wax, swimmer’s ear (if you have taken your little one to pool), middle ear infection, fungal infection of outer canal, boil in outer canal, pinched nerve, benign intracranial hypertension, blocked Eustachian tube as seen in cold and sinusitis etc. TMJ, sore throat and tooth ache can cause referred pain to ear. Mastoiditis is also a possibility and a MRI may be required before confirmation. It is difficult to diagnose on net. Please consult an ENT specialist.
Regarding hospitalization: this is needed only if the child is very sick or there is a need for surgery. I suggest you consult an ENT and rule out other causes of ear ache as well. Take care!