Undiagnosed Symptoms Community
My dad has shingles, need some help please!

This patient support community is for discussions relating to undiagnosed symptoms, breathing difficulties, feeling cold, cough, diarrhea, dizziness, fainting, fever, indigestion, itching, nausea, numbness, pain (chronic), paralysis, rash, sweating, swelling, urination problems, and vomiting.

My dad has had shingles now for about 11 days.  Does anyone out there know if the blisters all erupt at once, or does some heal then others come out?  He has one pretty big sized one on his nose next to his eye, it has just scabbed, but he seems to think there is more starting, what should the medications be?  Antivirals?  They gave him antibiotics, and Lyrica for nerve pain.  I thought they would give something else.  Just thought I would post and see if anyone could help.  Thank you kindly!!
Shingles is part of the herpes virus. Stress can bring it on or other health problems. I had a mild case and took. L-lysine. It helped with the pain tremendously. You can buy it in the health shop. You need to check out how much to take. I took one to two a day and stopped after a couple or weeks. You can crush them and put it on the blisters like a powder to or mix it with sterile water and make a paste. Shingles are extrememly painful so hang in there it can drive you nuts.  Good luck!
I had shingles in my 20s and they didnt give you anything years ago. They told me to let it runs its course . I had them round my waist if I remember rightly they did take ages to go. Once they scab over he will be on his way to recovery. Calamine lotion works well to ease the rash.  I believe they are really painful on your face though . I think you have to keep watch on the ones near his eyes  any signs of rouble tell him to go straight to the nearest Dr.  He has my greatest sympathy they hurt like mad! I think you can get antiviruls for it now perhaps thats what hes neen given aciclovir is one of them. Take Care Hope your dad gets btter real soon. XXchris
my son had this twice when he was 8 yrs old, the 1st time he had it the dr did give him anti virals and pain killers the 2nd time they just gave him painkillers and let it run it's coarse, i know watching him go through it, it's a very painful virus, so i hope your dad is soon on the mend.
I had the shingles 9 months ago.  The doc gave me valatrex for the ailment, vicadin for the pain and neurotin for the nerve endings or post herpetic neuraligia which I still have.  By taking the valatrex it stopped any more of the rash eruptions so the blisters didn't get big.  However I still have some red marks where the blisters were.  I have heard from Dr. Gott that vicks is good for the rash.  I did have the shingles in a rather large area and it was very painful.  The vicadin made me sleep and that is how I managed everything.  I haven't taken vicadin in a very long time and am doing great.  Hope your dad is feeling better real soon.  It is horrible to have it on the face.  Keep a watch that it doesn't go into the eyes.  Let me know how you make out.  Mine lasted 6 weeks.
My son has had two episodes near his eyes--so he was on Valtrex.  But I have heard lysine helps, too.  Once they go away, you should add it to your vitamin/supplement list to avoid another outbreak.

Also, my friend swears that a chiropractor can help shingles(???)
Shingles is reactivation of childhood chickenpox, due to the varicella zoster virus, or VZV (also called herpes zoster).   It is a herpes group virus, but not the same one people normally call herpes.

People with shingles should be treated with an antiviral drug, preferably valacyclovir (Valtrex) or famciclovir (Famvir).  Most doctors also prescribe a brief course of a corticosteroid, such as prednisone or dexamethasone (Decadron).  The steroid helps prevent later post-herpetic neuralgia, which can cause lifelong severe pain--but only if started early (it may be too late for your dad).  

A chiropractor definitely cannot help shingles.  L-lysine is quackery.

HHH, MD
Not true. L-lysine worked for me, it was the only thing. He is already taking the required medication from a doctor. Lucky I go to doctors who use complimentary medicine. I would be dead otherwise. It is my opinion only, maybe I would consider your ideas quakery too.
First of all, I would like to thank everyone for there thoughts.  A few of the blisters are scabbing, but now he is getting them on his eyelid and on scalp, he is really in a lot of pain, the Lyrica is not helping at all.  Do any of you think this could have been the reason for the last 6 months him having these hedaches, the pain from the headache (near nose and jaw area) is the same exact spot where the initial blisters erupted.  He had a brain MRI done 4 months ago because of the headaches and nothing showed.  Now 6 months later, developed shingles.  Weird!  Now if someone could help me, My eye lid has been twitching for a week off and on, what causes this?  I too had  a brain MRI end of April, nothing showed except "EXTENSIVE" sinus thickening in sphenoid sinuses, could this be caused by maybe the antibiotic didn't clear it all up?  I'm a worry wart, and scared about everything!  Hope I never get shingles, my dad has suffered with osteoarthritis for 20 years now, he's in pain everyday, now this, I feel so sorry for him, he's a terrific father!!  Thanks everyone!!
There hasn't been any medical studies per say, it is holistic. People have to right to choose or compliment. Jenny if you look on the internet you can read some case studies. If it is for you, it is for you if it is not, it's not. Take care!
Of all evidence of whether or not a treatment works, personal testimony by individuals is the least reliable, particularly for highly variable diseases that come and go, like herpes.  The scientific data about lysine and herpes are clear.

HHH, MD
You really care about your dad, it's obvious.  If it hasn't been done, help him find an infectious diseases specialist or dermatologist to be involved in evaluating and treating his shingeles.

I'm not familiar with Lyrica, but my understanding is that it's primarily a treatment for post-herpetic neuralgia, the pain that can follow shingles. If he still has active infection and is not on antiherpetic therapy (valacyclovir or famciclovir) and steroids, it might be he needs to be on those therapies.

HHH, MD
I thought only people with low immune systems get this like small kids and really old people. I don't know anything about it but my grandma had it for over two months and she is 91. I hear it hurts really bad hope it gets better too poor guy. Hope your dad gets better, I'll send him some good energy and good thoughts. Kali
My heart goes out to your father.  The pain is unbelievable.  I had shingles about 30 years ago, I was in the 5th or 6th grade.  I probably had it for about 2 weeks before my mother took me to the dr. I was out of school a total of 6 weeks. I believe then they thought it to be contagous. All I was given was pain medicine which my mother wouldn't allow me to take, she didn't want me to get addicted.  As I remember the pain started first then a patch of blister which was quit large started in the middle of my back and moved around under my arm then under my breast.  They were a cluster of blisters. I still have the scares and they are still painfull to touch but not to bad.  It actually drives me crazy when I have an itch where one of the scares are because you just cant scratch there as you are reminded each time you try.  I cant imagine having it around my eyes. I hear one must be very careful with that although you cant change the course of the nerve path.  Also I have to keep the scares out of the sun.  Once I sun bathed and got alittle burnt on my back and it was as if I had the shingles again my scare swelled and was very painful.
I understand now that the meds the Drs give will decrease the length of the course.  Good Luck to father.
I have read testimonials from people with Shingles who have had amazing relief from using Cellular Zeolite, which is a naturally occurring mineral taken orally in the form of liquid drops.

Let me know if you want more info.

Sage
***@****
Just wanted to thank everyone for there kind thoughts.  My father is doing a bit better now, he only had 1 blister on the outside of his nose near his eye, other red spots appear, but they never blister. He has seen to eye docs in the past 2 weeks, they gave him eye drops because they said he had pink eye, since only using the drops 2 times the redness has gone.  His doc said he believes he had a mild case.  He still has terrible headaches on that side of his face near his temple and above his eye, he went for a CT scan on Thursday, won't know results til Monday, I told him if something was terribly wrong they would have probably contacted him by now.  The Lyrica has not helped with his pain, the only thing that helps is cool compresses, ice kills him.  I hope he can finally start feeling better soon.  Thanks all!!!