Undiagnosed Symptoms Community
Mysterious Heat Radiating On Surface of Left Thigh

This patient support community is for discussions relating to undiagnosed symptoms, breathing difficulties, feeling cold, cough, diarrhea, dizziness, fainting, fever, indigestion, itching, nausea, numbness, pain (chronic), paralysis, rash, sweating, swelling, urination problems, and vomiting.

For about a week, I've been experiencing a sensation of spontaneous heat on my left thigh for no reason.   It occurs throughout the day, and lasts for about 10 to 15 seconds at a time.   My leg itself though, is not any different.  The skin does not warm up, it does not flush, I have no rash - I do not feel anything in my muscles like in a normal ache. It doesn't even hurt.   It just feels like somebody is pouring a bucket of warm water over my leg, and it's so convincing that in fact when I was washing dishes in warm water I kept thinking I HAD splashed some of the water on my leg when I hadn't.  It seems to me (without know why, or knowing anything about physiology for that matter) that this is nerve related, and that it's really not coming from my leg.   In the last day it's gotten hotter.

It's also possible, but maybe I'm imagining it - that the right side of my face has been slightly numb this week,  first the lower half, then around the eye, now back to the lower half.  I can't say for sure because it's a very vague sensation, and faded out enough by now that I'm starting to doubt how real it was.

Finally, I am a 35 year-old woman and for the last 2 months I've had these false alarms where I feel the exact same way I always feel before getting my period - but then I do not actually get it until a week or two later.  .   I am definitely not pregnant.  And, I feel weak and foggy and overheated and it can last for days.  My 2 concerns: could any of this indicate MS or early menopause?   Since January I've been drinking tons of Soy milk could that be a factor?  THANKS!
Tags: heat
For about a month I have been experiencing the same sensation.  It happens on and off many times throughout the day. The upper part of my left thigh towards the back of my leg gets very hot.  It is usually warmer to the touch than my right thigh.  I have searched the web for answers, but have found none so far.  There is no pain associated with the heat.  It mostly happens while I am sitting down.  I wonder what it could be??.....
Hi!  Well as soon as I posted this I discovered that somebody was already discussing this very same thing a few days earlier, see:

Burning sensation back of legs. - DustinsMom: 06/09/2006

And there was another post about it a few days earlier too.

VERY STRANGE!  But thank goodness for the internet.  According to the other posts it seems to be caused by some nerve compression from sitting too long, or sitting wrong.   After I read this I relaxed and the symptom has gone away.  

???? It seemed like such an obscure problem but I guess it's actually common.  I found people bringing it up in a few other places too - but without follow-up posts.
Thank you so much for the update!  This makes so much sense to me now.  I have a desk job and I sit anywhere from 8-10 hours a day, most often twisted in my chair with my left elbow on the desk while I'm on the phone.  I need a better chair and better posture!

Good luck!
Good luck to you too!  And be careful - I had a repetitive strain injury for awhile caused by terrible sitting habits & it was totally disabling.  

(I ended up getting better with the help of 2 books: it's not carpal tunnel syndrome & the triggerpoint therapy workbook -hopefully you'll never need them).
What is the cause of this involunary heat sensation at the back of the thigh I get when i am sitting. if feels like luke warm water, but no pain. This sensation comes and goes and lasts for merely a few seconds at a time.