Undiagnosed Symptoms Community
NO ENERGY

This patient support community is for discussions relating to undiagnosed symptoms, breathing difficulties, feeling cold, cough, diarrhea, dizziness, fainting, fever, indigestion, itching, nausea, numbness, pain (chronic), paralysis, rash, sweating, swelling, urination problems, and vomiting.

NO ENERGY

My 75 year old mother becomes exhausted just making her bed.  She has to rest in the middle of doing it.  She feels fine while she is sitting down except for a nagging cough that won't go away.  She says she has so much phelgm in her throat.  She/we are more worried about this being exhausted and having no energy.   She huffs and puffs just from walking across the room.  It is getting worse and worse. She is under a doctor's care for her heart.  She has had to have her heart shocked back into rythmn 3 times.  The doctor told her that she has a leaky valve but that it wasn't bad enough to have surgery. She has also been to a lung specialist and found that she has a brochial problem from having pneumonia as a child.  I can't remember what it is called.We are very concerned because her quality of life is going down hill.  What other things should we be checking for?  Should she be going to a different doctor that might specialize in loss of energy/exhaustion/out of breath.  Where should we go and what should we do?
1 Comment
Welcome to the forum!
I am sorry to hear about your mother. If your mother is having a lot of cough and phlegm, then two things should be ruled out by the chest specialist. One is asthma and the other is bronchiectasis (this is what probably the doctor has diagnosed for your mother). Also talk to the heart specialist regarding the heart causing pressure in lungs by which there is fluid collecting in the lungs. If the oxygen taking capacity of the body decreases, the person is easily fatigued. Other possibility is that she is also having anemia.
It is difficult to comment beyond this at this stage. Please let me know if there is any thing else and do keep me posted. Take care!