Undiagnosed Symptoms Community
NUMB FINGERS AT NIGHT

This patient support community is for discussions relating to undiagnosed symptoms, breathing difficulties, feeling cold, cough, diarrhea, dizziness, fainting, fever, indigestion, itching, nausea, numbness, pain (chronic), paralysis, rash, sweating, swelling, urination problems, and vomiting.

NUMB FINGERS AT NIGHT

Hello Doctors

For the last 3 weeks or so i wake up in the night and my left hand (pinky finger & ring finger) are always numb. Can you tell me why is this. I have to shake them and they are fine again.
Are you able to tell me from your expert opinion what it is?

Nicola
Hi doctor i posted this last week & yet to get a reply i was wondering if you could help me???

Hello Doctors

This is not a doctor forum.  

It sounds like you are pinching the nerve in your arm or the circulation in your arm when you sleep.  Some people do better when they get a different pillow for their head.  

Most pillows only last a few months.  It is suggested that a person with head/neck/arm problems may want to sleep with a pillow being grasped in front of the chest.

Your bed may be too hard.

See if any of this helps.  If you can't determine a cause, it is a good idea to get your heart and circulation checked or perhaps your head/neck for irregularities that might be improvable.

Good luck

Not a doctor, but great at science --

Numbness and tingling in the ring finger and little finger are common symptoms of ulnar nerve entrapment. Ulnar nerve entrapment can give symptoms of " falling asleep " in the ring finger and little finger especially when the elbow is bent. Some people wake up at night because their fingers are numb.

Diagnosed by clinical examination, x-ray or CT or MRI of the hand.Sometimes nerve conduction studies are also done.

Avoid frequent use of the arm with the elbow bent and avoid leaning on the elbow or putting pressure on the inside of the arm like when driving or when using a computer.
You can use an over-the-counter (OTC) anti-inflammatory analgesic (pain reliever) like Ibuprofen and physiotherapy exercises.Severe cases in which muscle wasting is present may require surgery.

Pls consult an orthopedician soon as If the nerve is very compressed or has been compressed for a long time,irreversible muscle wasting in the hand can occur.

Hope it helps. Take care and pls do keep me posted on how you are doing or if you have any additional queries.