Undiagnosed Symptoms Community
NUMBNESS , SWELLING & TINGLING NEAR THE ARM PIT

This patient support community is for discussions relating to undiagnosed symptoms, breathing difficulties, feeling cold, cough, diarrhea, dizziness, fainting, fever, indigestion, itching, nausea, numbness, pain (chronic), paralysis, rash, sweating, swelling, urination problems, and vomiting.

For the past 2 years I have had this awful feeling of swelling, numbness and tingling most all the  time next to the right side of my right arm pit.    I have had (2) back surgeries and breast implants and am not sure if there is a connection.   There is no lump and I have had it checked out by my doctor who didn't think it was anything.   I do use the computer a lot and thought maybe that would be contributing to the swelling condition since my work area is not ergonomically correct.  Should I be concerned that it could be something serious?

There are a few things which I can think of. Firstly, such pains are quite common in arms and hands in patients of Carpal Tunnel Syndrome. CTS is a medical condition in which the median nerve is compressed at the wrist, leading to pain, paresthesias, and muscle weakness in the forearm and hand. However, the other condition I can think of is brachial plexus injury.

A brachial plexus injury occurs when the nerves that connect your arm and spinal cord get stretched or torn. This usually happens when your shoulder is pressed down forcefully while your head is pushed up and away from that shoulder.It can also be related to the back surgeries that you have undergone.

Thirdly,it can be due to cervical spondolysis which can cause compression of the nerves supplying the area of the arm and underarm.Faulty sitting postures like while working in front of computers can lead to it.

The last thing which I can think of is Multiple Sclerosis but the chances of which seem less likely.

I would advise you to please get yourself examined by a neurologist and get investiagations like x-ray or CT spine and neck,nerve conduction tests and EMg done to confirm a diagnosis.

Hope it helps.Take care and pls do keep me posted on how you are doing or if you had any other queries.

Thank you for your reply.   I had carpal tunnel surgery done on that hand a few months ago and I thought it would help out this situation but it hasn't.  I will definitely see a Neurologists.