Undiagnosed Symptoms Expert Forum
Nausea, Flushing for 2 Weeks

Topics covered include , breathing difficulties, feeling cold, cough, diarrhea, dizziness, fainting, fever, indigestion, itching, nausea, numbness, pain (chronic), paralysis, rash, sweating, swelling, urination problems, and vomiting.

Nausea, Flushing for 2 Weeks

I'm a 20-year-old college student experiencing unexplained nausea for the past two weeks. I've always had an extremely "strong stomach" - I've only vomited 2 or 3 times in my life! (Even with the flu). 3 weeks ago, I had a minor head cold resulting in substantial drainage. There was some mild nausea and after the drainage peaked, I did vomit and felt relieved. For about a week, I was as happy as could be - no more cold, no nausea, nothing!

Then, about a week ago, the same nausea hit me like a train before my first class one morning. The feeling was so uncomfortable that I had to skip class and go home. I was flushed, sweating profusely and just felt very uneasy. There was an urge to vomit but it never came. Eventually it went away but came back. I've now been experiencing this feeling for 7 or 8 days now. The feeling tends to peak in the morning and at night but still remains throughout the day.

I have no personal or family history of GI problems. I am slightly overweight (6'3" 210lbs) and am a smoker for 2 years, however starting in June I have been tapering down and am 5-6 cigarettes per day.

There have been no changes in my eating patterns or lifestyle that would signify the nausea. My only guess is that there is some underlying problem that I need to get checked out or this is amazingly left over from a minor head cold. Any thoughts? Should I find a GI doctor here in Nashville?

Thanks in advance,
David
Persistent nausea does warrant further evaluation with a GI physician.  There are many possibilities, including GERD, an ulcer, mass, obstruction, among others.

An upper GI series or upper endoscopy can give a comprehensive evaluation of the upper GI tract.  Imaging the abdomen can also be considered to look at the liver and gallbladder.  Diseases there can lead to nausea.

If the GI workup is negative, neurological conditions can also lead to nausea.  If that is suspected, imaging the brain can be done via a CT scan or MRI.

These options should be discussed with your personal physician.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Kevin Pho, M.D.

KevinMD.com
Twitter.com/KevinMD
Facebook.com/KevinMDblog
Could these be symptoms of swine flu??
I would say yes to Swine Flu but no fever or other symptoms. Student Health Services thinks it might be acid reflux or gastroenteritis. I'm on the BRAT diet and an RX for reflux. I go back in for a check-up Friday. If it persists, they will refer me to a GI doctor at Vanderbilt.
Sweating and flushing can be caused by a temperature.  I think your head cold, etc could have been symptoms of the flu.  
Good luck for your follow-up appointment.  I hope it's nothing too serious.