Undiagnosed Symptoms Community
Nausea, Flushing for 2 Weeks

A community for discussions on undiagnosed symptoms: breathing difficulties, feeling cold, cough, diarrhea, dizziness, fainting, fever, indigestion, itching, nausea, numbness, pain (chronic), paralysis, rash, sweating, swelling, urination problems, and vomiting.

Nausea, Flushing for 2 Weeks

I'm a 20-year-old college student experiencing unexplained nausea for the past two weeks. I've always had an extremely "strong stomach" - I've only vomited 2 or 3 times in my life! (Even with the flu). 3 weeks ago, I had a minor head cold resulting in substantial drainage. There was some mild nausea and after the drainage peaked, I did vomit and felt relieved. For about a week, I was as happy as could be - no more cold, no nausea, nothing!

Then, about a week ago, the same nausea hit me like a train before my first class one morning. The feeling was so uncomfortable that I had to skip class and go home. I was flushed, sweating profusely and just felt very uneasy. There was an urge to vomit but it never came. Eventually it went away but came back. I've now been experiencing this feeling for 7 or 8 days now. The feeling tends to peak in the morning and at night but still remains throughout the day.

I have no personal or family history of GI problems. I am slightly overweight (6'3" 210lbs) and am a smoker for 2 years, however starting in June I have been tapering down and am 5-6 cigarettes per day.

There have been no changes in my eating patterns or lifestyle that would signify the nausea. My only guess is that there is some underlying problem that I need to get checked out or this is amazingly left over from a minor head cold. Any thoughts? Should I find a GI doctor here in Nashville?

Thanks in advance,
David

P.S. - Something tells me that if I was a woman...and pregnant...this is what "Morning Sickness" must be like...except it's ALL DAY.
You might start with a good internist first.  Might be anything from pheochromocytoma to anxiety.
Welcome to the forum!
One possibility is that you have a post viral condition with flushing and a post nasal drip causing nausea. The other possibility is gastric reflux or GERD. It could also be a hiatal hernia where a part of stomach herniates into the chest cavity.
An ENT specialist or even your PCP can rule out the post nasal drip. Regarding reflux, Omeprazole is a good drug to combat this. Along with it you can try over the counter antacids. However I would recommend you see a doctor and take medication under a doctor’s supervision. Avoid heavy meals and eat frequent small meals. Avoid too much of caffeine, tea, fried food and drinks both alcoholic and non alcoholic fuzzy ones. Avoid heavy exercises within 4 hours of a heavy meal. Raise the head end of the bed by pillows to 30 degrees. Go to bet at least 2 hours after food. Maybe these tips will help you. You should  see a gastroenterologist (a specialist who looks after the diseases of our digestive system) or a physician for this if these tips reduce your symptoms.
Hope this helps. Please let me know if there is any thing else and do keep me posted. Take care!