Undiagnosed Symptoms Community
Nausea, weakness, numbness, loose stool

This patient support community is for discussions relating to undiagnosed symptoms, breathing difficulties, feeling cold, cough, diarrhea, dizziness, fainting, fever, indigestion, itching, nausea, numbness, pain (chronic), paralysis, rash, sweating, swelling, urination problems, and vomiting.

Nausea, weakness, numbness, loose stool

I've been troubled with these symptoms, on and off, for a few months now.

Early this spring, I had what I thought was the flu.  I got to work and experienced, lightheadedness, chills, poor concentration, nausea and a general feeling that something was wrong.  It took about 3 days of rest but the symptoms subsided.  Since then, I've had several mini attacks of the above symptoms.  They tend to be worse during early morning (sometimes waking me in the night) and subside or become manageable as the day progresses.

I smoke and drink on occasion.  I have no known allergies other then a grown intolerance for dairy products which, I limit my intake of.  My last episode woke me up in the middle of the night, heart racing slightly and a need to vomit.  Tried to settle my stomach with some Ginger ale only, to have that come back up.  The weakness and numbness in my legs and arms got better by the evening.

I've also suffered with sciatica and a bad back for a few years now.  I also have a family history of thyroid problems and high blood pressure.  Recently, I've noticed that all my shoulder and neck muscles are very tight which at times, feels light I have a lump in my throat which does help when I get nauseous.  

I worry that these "episodes" may impact my already busy life.  They don't necessarily "lay me out" but, they are making my mind race and panic.  I can usually calm myself down so, I don't believe these symptoms to be associated with anxiety attacks as I've read on other posts.

I'm not sure if this is a sign of high blood pressure as I don't show the more common symptoms associated with that but, I'm wondering if this could be my thyroid causing these feelings.

I'm in my early 40's, slightly overweight (6' 3" -  210 lbs)  
1 Comment
Welcome to the MedHelp forum!
The symptoms could be exacerbation of the GERD or gastric reflux.  It could also be hiatal hernia. Treatment is a combination of drugs to reduce the acid and lifestyle changes. You will need to take a combination of medications (under medical supervision) like a proton pump inhibitor such as omeprazole, lansoprazole or pantoprazole empty stomach in the morning and an antacid gel after meals for complete relief. Possibility of H pylori infection too should be looked into by a carbon urea breath test and a combination antibiotic tried. Many a times a persisting H pylori infection can be the cause behind acidity not responding to treatment.
Life style changes that will help include: Avoid heavy meals and eat frequent small meals. Avoid too much of caffeine, tea, smoking, fried food and drinks both alcoholic and non alcoholic fuzzy ones. Avoid heavy exercises within 4 hours of a heavy meal. Raise the head end of the bed by pillows to 30 degrees. Avoid lying down for least 2 hours after food. Maybe these tips will help you.
If these tips do not help, then liver function test, pancreatic enzymes, and HIDA scan for gall bladder should be done. Food intolerance and inflammatory bowel conditions such as IBS, Crohn’s, celiac etc should be considered. Log in what you eat and see if there is a correlation between a certain food type and the symptoms.
You should consult a gastroenterologist (a specialist who looks after the diseases of our digestive system) or a physician for this. Take care!