Undiagnosed Symptoms Community
Nervous, jittery feeling in chest, heart beating faster, shaky. Is it c...

This patient support community is for discussions relating to undiagnosed symptoms, breathing difficulties, feeling cold, cough, diarrhea, dizziness, fainting, fever, indigestion, itching, nausea, numbness, pain (chronic), paralysis, rash, sweating, swelling, urination problems, and vomiting.

Nervous, jittery feeling in chest, heart beating faster, shaky. Is it caffeine related?

Over the last 4 weeks I have increased the number of cups of tea I take from 1-2 a day to 5-6. Over the last two nights I have experienced an odd sensation, I woke up thinking that there was an earthquake,! everything was shaking around me, but then I realised that my heart was beating fast and in fact I was shaking. It really unsettled me. The next night I experienced a milder version, but it was definitely the same feeling, plus I felt like I was falling and was sure that I physically moved in a jerky way. This left me feeling very nervous and unsettled. Apart from drinking more tea I have started eating brown bread in the last 3 days and eating apples, but surely that can't have anything to do with it.
Caffeine is most certainly related to anxiety. I personally can only have 1 cup of coffee or tea in the morning otherwise I get irritable, sweaty and nervous. Switch to decaf herbal teas and you should feel much better.
At the very least, you should see your doctor for investigations into dysrythmias, anxiety and coronary heart disease. Caffeine may be the reason for your symptoms, but you can't be sure unless some investigations are done. There is a heart monitor you can wear that records your heart's electrical activity throughout a couple of days that may be able to reassure you that there's nothing seriously wrong.
I have a friend with the same problem. He drinks a lot of tea, and shakes a lot. He thought he might have parkinsons disease as he is in his 60's, however the doctor told him its the caffiene in the tea. Just cut down and you will feel much better. Trust me, its the caffiene!
Both tea and coffee contain caffeine, which acts on the heart in several ways.

Both may act as stimulants and precipitate ventricular arythmias and a fast heart rate.

Coffee causes calcium depletion (which affects the heart muscle since calcium is necessary for normal contractions), and drinking coffee with milk or taking a calcium supplement in the morning will reduce the probability of a palpitation.

Try decaffinated coffee, but select a brand that is treated with supercritical carbon dioxide, rather than conventional solvents.

Welcome to the MedHelp forum!
Too much tea and coffee can increase both heart rate and acidity. Acidity too can cause you to feel dizzy. I suggest you decrease the intake of tea. Take an antacid gel for some days. If the feeling persists, consult a doctor. Please read Caregiver's post too as it gives valuable information. Take care!