Undiagnosed Symptoms Community
No One Has Any Idea...

This patient support community is for discussions relating to undiagnosed symptoms, breathing difficulties, feeling cold, cough, diarrhea, dizziness, fainting, fever, indigestion, itching, nausea, numbness, pain (chronic), paralysis, rash, sweating, swelling, urination problems, and vomiting.

No One Has Any Idea...

I've had terrible symptoms of what my doctor claims to be anxiety for over a year, that include chest pains, shortness of breath every day, nausea, palpitations, seeing heartbeat in my eyes, neck throbbing and pain, cold feeling in my heart, weakness/EXTREME fatigue (feeling like my body's just going to shut down) and overall a constant, nervous-sick feeling right over where my heart is...it feels like it's dying... I've had an echocardiogram stress test and a CT scan of the heart done and the docs (2 different cardiologists) say nothing appears to be wrong.
I have been treating it for anxiety, which include lots of exercise, better diet, relaxing activities (yoga or stretching) and I've tried:
-propranolol (made me feel like i was going into heart failure),
-paxil (made symptoms worse, including severe jaw clenching)
-buspar (no change besides disturbing thoughts and dreams)
-various natural supplements
-xanax (only took when symptoms were abnormally severe, and worked; made me feel normal, which is VERY rare)
- I want to TRY gabapentin, because I'm hoping it's a neurological problem...but I'm scared because I usually have bad reactions to meds.

For the record I have also had a brain MRI and CT angiogram of my head which also seem normal.
Got my thyroid checked out and did some other blood tests a while back when I first started having symptoms, which also were all normal.

I want to believe it is a problem with my nervous system, as I also get dizzy and disorientated easily, and my eyes ache sometimes and I get spotty vision...I abused a LOT of drugs when I was a teenager, and I even had a couple of close calls (overdosing) on amphetamines... I also smoked a lot of what is called "spice" (a synthetic drug that was later found out to be quite dangerous)...
but right now I'm really afraid it's my heart, because I feel it right there!
Any advice?? I feel like I don't know where to turn...
I take paxil, and they help me and ativan on a rare occasion. Anxiety is not a nice thing to go through. I have had it a long time but seems to have gotten a lot better since I quit drinking. If you do drink, stop and any drugs you may take including antihistamines. Its all going to affect you. Now that I am clean and sober I can relate better to what is bothering me and cope better. Clenching jaw is a sympton of anxiety also. Don't stress, you won't die from anxiety. Chest pains is muscle tension. Read on panic attacks, and anxiety symptons. Do things you enjoy doing. I love the outdoors and reading, gardening. Relax, and try not to worry. Have fun and stay positive.
thanks for your comment. I have been sober since these symptoms came on (over a year now). it's been really hard but today I really had a realization that has helped me more than anything. I think it'll all work out ok!
Hi, sharetty:
It is a panic attack. all your symptoms are exaperienced by me a year ago. I did all the heart and other tests but diagnosed no illness. I revommend you to change your thoughts and refrain from thinking too much about your symptoms. I know these attacks of anxiety and panic are a real suffering. Try to consult a psychatrist if possible. Keep yourself busy and try to overcome these symptoms by your will power. I tried it and controlled it by my self efforts.wish u a good health. Rakhshinda.