Undiagnosed Symptoms Community
No diagnosis for chronic cough and throat clearing

This patient support community is for discussions relating to undiagnosed symptoms, breathing difficulties, feeling cold, cough, diarrhea, dizziness, fainting, fever, indigestion, itching, nausea, numbness, pain (chronic), paralysis, rash, sweating, swelling, urination problems, and vomiting.

My father, who is 58, has had a chronic cough for the past 4 months and has also developed a need to constantly clear his throat.  He has no heartburn, no mucus, no other respiratory or gastrointestinal symptoms.  The coughing is not exercised-induced, but cold air, sleeping, and eating can bring on a coughing attack. He says it feels like there is something in the left side of his throat/neck area and he can't eat anything like rice or nuts anymore without having a major coughing attack and feeling like it gets stuck in his throat.  He is having difficult sleeping at night from the coughing.  
The drs. did a chest xray which was normal, tried him on albuterol which didn't help, tried him on codiene cough meds for sleeping which only lasted from 9p.m.-1a.m. and then he wakes up coughing.  The ENT dr. did a quick look at his throat with a mirror and said everything looked good and his neck felt normal.  He thinks it's GERD, and wants him to continue on his Prilosec, which he has been taking for the past month to no avail.  The cough sounds very "chesty" like it's coming from deep within the chest.  He never coughs anything up, and has no allergies or post-nasal drip.  The esophagram the ENT dr. ordered was within normal limits.  I'm very concerned, as he is getting so worn out with this coughing and throat clearing. He is on Paxil and hydrochlorothiazide.  He has a history of prostate cancer treated with surgery, and a recurrence treated wtih radiation.  His last PSA in August was undetectable.  Any ideas on what this could be?  Thank you.
My dad was just like that..always coughing.
Hope this helps...hydrochlorothiazide can cause coughing. It happened to Dad. And from the looks of the internet search, it may be what is causing the dry cough.
Good luck!
Mobunny
If he feels like there is something "stuck" in his throat then I would think a neck ultrasound would be warranted.

When my thyroid swells (I have autoimmune thyroid disease) I cough quite a bit and it feels like something is caught in my throat.

Has he had a thyroid panel w/antibodies done?

Kelly
As childrenrtreasures has said it could be his thyroid. I suffer from hypothyroidism(23 years now) and I often have the feeling that something is stuck in my throat, especially when my levels are out of range. I have an enlargement on the right side of the thyroid gland and this is where that feeling of something being "stuck" comes from. Have the doctor to do a full thyroid panel on him.
i had a feeling of food stuck in throat for a few months. It wasn't food but was tick mucous that was sticky and hard to move even with lots of coughing. I found lots of water helped keep it less sticky, and a nasal wash with saline helped soften it up and I could get it out. I had a chronic cough for years with xrays etc etc all negative and eventually discovered a food allergy to maize. i was prescribed guiphenesin at one point which makes mucous runnier and easier to deal with. It's in a common cough mixture but I can't remember which one at the moment. Could give it a go.
I can especially relate to the symptoms that "abcsoup" mentioned in her posting.  I have had a bad for the last 4 months. I also have felt like I have somthing stuck in my throat. I have been to primary family physician twice since I developed the cough. She believed the cough was allergy related and prescribed Clariton and a cough syrup containing Codeine. Those did not help my cough, so I went an allergist today with the problem. The testing revealed that I did not have any significant allergies. The allergist did not believe my cough was allergy related.  I mentioned to my doctor today that I had been diagnosed with Thyroid Disease.  My allergist believes that my cough is related to a problem with my Thyroid gland and to the Thyroid Disease diagnosis. I am having some blood work done tommorow. I am also having an ultrasound done on my thyroid gland in a few weeks, so I will no more after I get back. I will be happy to share the diagnosis once I get the results back.
Try the natural remedy of an apple cider vinegar drink. Many different concoctions on the web. I drink 2 tblspns 2x per day before meals and have eliminated GERD drugs..it also helps with many other health issues. THE ACV eliminates excess mucas too....But like anything new always check with your doctor...and do the research. I have chronic throat clearing symptoms and hypothyroidism. I 'm told it is a nervous tic....Any insight would be appreciated and thanks to this sight I will inquire about an ultra sound. Thank you for your insights.  LAMURPHY
Was the ultrasound helpful?  I've had a cough for several years with no help to date.  
First of all your next call should be to a gastroenterologist and schedule and EGD. I had the same thing. Turned out it was a hiatel hernia. Losing weight helped and so did medications. I didn't have heartburn or anything. Just a cough and constantly clearing of my throat. An EGD is a piece of cake! Good luck!
Paula
I have had a chronic cough & a throat clearing problem for well over a year. I have seen seven doctors
& have many tests. No one seems to know what the problem is. I refuse to believe that they can put men on the moon but they can not find out the cause of all this discomfort.
Like some of you, I have had a chronic cough for almost 2 years now.  Test after test after test with no results!  But I think I have narrowed it down to 1 of 2 things.  First..I have severe reflux which may or may not be the result of the cough (And no meds that I have tried have worked for the reflux)... going for another test soon (PH study-this time while on meds) And may I add that this test is AWFUL!  Second, with much of my own research, I think I could have Thyroid disease. (which explain other symptoms that I have that I thought were unrelated to my cough)....Thyroid cancer has one side effect which is chronic coughing.  I will be going for these tests soon.  I hope that this may help someone/anyone.  This cough can drive a person insane.  
Oh...and I should mention, I am a 33 year old female.  Never smoked and has always been in great shape.  (So scary at a young age)