Node behind ear lobe
Thanks in advance for anyone who has any insight into my question.

I recently had a small lump directly behind one ear lobe almost in the crease.

I did panic. I got it checked, one person said he thought it was just a benign cyst (wasn't 100%) a week later a triage nurse said it was a lymph node. A third doctor said it could've been either.

My question is, the cyst or node never formed a head but was definitely attached to the skin layer. I thought nodes were always under the skin??

Also the other nodes under the ear didn't change size at all, some medical diagrams don't even show a node directly behind the ear lobe, so i left 3 appointments none the wiser..

I did constantly prod and check it. If it was a node I do get allergies or it could've been something else.

Any ideas of where I can get more information of theses specific nodes, it's quite important.
Blue, you can check out the following site if you have not done so already.

http://www.medicinenet.com/swollen_lymph_nodes/page4.htm

I am surprised the doctor did not tell you what it is. From my understanding a swollen lymph node is normally caused by some type of infection, which should be able to be detected by a blood test. As for a cyst, I'm surprised the doctor could not just insert a syringe into the "lump" and see what it is filled with.
It could be either a lymph node or cyst.  The key is to watch it.  More than likely it will go away.  
Has your lump gone now?

It sounds like you had or still have a boil.  They will eventually go, or may fill up with puss and come to form a head for rubbish to come out.

An antiseptic or antibacterial cream will help
By the time i'd gone to the third it had gone down, so he sort of left me saying it could have been either..

The first was actually a pharmacist that said it was a cyst, although a highly trusted one that has been there for years and no doubt seen many people. Second was a triage nurse that said it was a node.

The doctors here are so rushed, they just don't seem to care
Blue,
I can tell you that it is not a cyst. A cyst does not go down as you put it on it's own. They have to be "drained" by a doctor or surgically removed. If it is going down on it's own, I would not worry about it.
Thanks flipper, I've got something similar on my back that hasn't gone away, it s a boil. The lump behind my ear could be either. I do get the odd spot that doesn't come to a head as such, that show up from time to time. I just wish I'd got it looked at properly straight away as the to doctors were just quite vague about it, not much help to me!