Undiagnosed Symptoms Community
Non-muscular spasms and pain in lower left back

This patient support community is for discussions relating to undiagnosed symptoms, breathing difficulties, feeling cold, cough, diarrhea, dizziness, fainting, fever, indigestion, itching, nausea, numbness, pain (chronic), paralysis, rash, sweating, swelling, urination problems, and vomiting.

I think this may be related to my colon, but my family doctor says the location of the pain would be odd if it were colon related. About a year ago I started experiencing painful spasms in the lower left back--they were so pronounced that they were actually visible from the outside. Xrays showed that my colon was impacted, but the doctor didn't think that was the cause of the spasms--again, due to the location. She recommended Benefiber, which--when taken regularly--completely eliminated the spasms. However, one missed dosage of Benefiber and the spasms return, and take about a week of regular Benefiber to go away again. Two weeks ago I had a CT Scan which came back "clear" (whatever that means). Now, I'm scheduled for a colonoscopy.

Everything I learn about colon disorders indicates that pain would be in the lower left ABDOMEN--closer to the front rather than in the back.

I fear that nobody is going to be able to diagnose this. Ideas?
-8 Comments
Interesting, sounds like another interesting situation where something so simple shouldn't help something that they cannot figure out. I will try to look into this as I find this very interesting. Also irregardless of this helping, I think you should have them do an MRI or the lumbar area and such. This is very important to make sure that something the CTscans and x rays are not picking up may be seen on the MRI. Me personally, I think anything is possible when the precipitating issue is located near the area where pain or spasms are present. If there is referred pain, then why not referred spasms? I am not professional...just a tired Patient. I had neuro symptoms and no answers, the only thing that has given me any relief is taking Magnesium and a little Potassium. I am still on the road to discovery, and hopefully recovery. If I find anything I will return to this and post. Peace and hope you feel better soon.