Undiagnosed Symptoms Community
Numb finger tip turns blue

This patient support community is for discussions relating to undiagnosed symptoms, breathing difficulties, feeling cold, cough, diarrhea, dizziness, fainting, fever, indigestion, itching, nausea, numbness, pain (chronic), paralysis, rash, sweating, swelling, urination problems, and vomiting.

Numb finger tip turns blue

I have this recurring numbness in the tip my 4th finger on the left hand. The first few times my fingertip turned white but today it turned blueish purple. It was also very cold. I happened to pick up something cold which touched that finger. That brought a burning pain to my fingertip. This is beginning to concern me, as it's the third time this happens. I take a multi-vitamin as well as B-complex. Can you tell me what might be causing this numbness to occur?
Look up Raynaud's Phenomenon. I do not know if it can occur in only one finger, but other than that, you give a perfect description. Raynaud's can occur alone (Primary), or in conjunction with autoimmune disorders (Secondary).
MYPROBLEM, I did look up Raynaud's and it describes my symptoms exactly. It helps to have an idea of what it is. Now if it can figure out what triggers it, so I can get it to stop. I checked my meds and none have the ingredients known to cause Raynaud's. I have been under a lot of stress and am very sensitive to cold, so my guess is that either one or both of them is the trigger. Thanks for your comment.
I ahve herniated disc's in my neck that cause my 4th and 5th fingers to go numb, get real cold and turn kind of blue. The say that the ulnar nerve is being hit by possible muscle spamsms.  From my experiance this kind of thing could be any number of things.  I'd have it checked out by your doctor.  I was lucky because I was in the doctors office when it happened and the MD was shocked.  I guess he thought I was making it up or something.  It took 4 MRI's to find the herniated disc's.
Some people find relief from calcium channel blockers. I have not tried this myself. Try not to touch anything very cold. Wear gloves in cold weather, and when putting away groceries. Use warm, not hot water to warm your hands if they get too cold (just like you would for frostbite).
Actually, I'd previously been diagnosed with a degenerative disk in my neck. Having been really stressed lately, my neck and shoulders have been very sore.

You're right that it could be any number of things. I just hate going through a bunch of tests. That's why I thought I could figure this one out on my own and ended up at this site.
Thanks for your comment mimi3535, yet more food for thought.
I found somethings very important for you. Click this link to read about vasculitis. Remember that Raynaud's is linked to vasculitis? Well I didn't know if Raynaud's could affect just one finger. Vasculitis definately can. Don't worry about the heading saying the article is about Lupus and vasculitis. Just read the article though, and see if it sounds familiar. Let me know what you find out.
i hitt my hand on the side and at first it turned cold , but now the finger next to the cold one is turning blue..
The doctor said if it turns blue it has too be amputated.. is there any other way?
My sister is in hospital at the mo she has scleroderma an raynauld's disease her one finger has turned blue an numb for about 3 weeks she has been put on a drip to try an get the blood supply back to her finger!! but she feels well an positive in herself, there is no cure but with the right help they're is treatment available to help the condition!!! good luck x
Jane H
Liverpool
A related discussion, Finger turning blue was started.
A related discussion, medical was started.
all the best for your sister Jane and thanks for your warm post, which has given me a bit of encouragement. It's my mum I'm concerned about in this case. She is 87... Her forefinger and middle finger (left hand) have turned numb and blue since a few days ..

Greetings from.
Morgana in freezing S. Wales