Undiagnosed Symptoms Community
Numbness hands/arms, dizziness, vertigo,fatigue,

This patient support community is for discussions relating to undiagnosed symptoms, breathing difficulties, feeling cold, cough, diarrhea, dizziness, fainting, fever, indigestion, itching, nausea, numbness, pain (chronic), paralysis, rash, sweating, swelling, urination problems, and vomiting.

for the past 4 months I get severe numbness in my fingers and hands and sometimes arms. The numbness can remain all day and sometimes even ache in my hands and fingers. The odd thing is that I get it worst at night and in the morning.  When I sleep the numbness occurs on the opposite of the side that I am sleeping on (just by turning to the other side, the numbness will go away until I flip back to the same side again).  It gets so bad at nights, I need to turn repeatedly to relieve the discomfort.  I often get dizzy and sometimes have vertigo like symptoms when I turn in bed and when I change elevations like sitting up or standing up.  I can even get dizziness just going up and down a ladder or bending over to tie my shoes.  I am also completely exhausted in the morning even with a good nights sleep and can end up napping for hours in the morning if I lie down.  I am in my mid forties and in a pretty stressful position at work, but I have been doing this type of work for 22 years. I have gone to the doctor/s for mulitple lab tests, consulted by sleep apnea doctor and they cannot find anything that they think would cause these symptoms.  I really have no other symptoms that point to stress/depression other than the fatigue.  Any ideas?
Tags: "numbness hand & arm, fatigue
I wonder if you have a problem with circulation in your blood flow. But any symptom could trigger this even if it is as simple as your wisdom teeth coming in; as an example.
Welcome to the MedHelp forum!
This can happen due to due Vit D or Vit B12 deficiency, ankylosing spondylitis causing multiple pinched nerves, or due to sciatica which happens due to pinched sacral nerve root.
Get the blood levels of the above checked. You would need to consult an orthopedic specialist and the treatment will involve medicines, physiotherapy and maybe surgery if need be. MRI of the spine should be done. Please let me know if there is any thing else and do keep me posted. Take care!
Have you seen a Neurologist? That sounds like a neurological problem. The dizziness upon changing positions sounds like something called orthostatic hypotension. That is when the blood pressure has a significant drop when a person changes positions. Do you have a blood pressure cuff? If so, take  your blood pressure, lying, sitting, then standing. If it is a significant difference, then this is the reason you become dizzy. I am not sure what the numbness is all about, but it sounds neurological. Go see a Neurologist, and they will assess you from their prospective.