Numbness in Big Toe
Hello, for the last week I have had a numb left big toe. It is not discolored, it is healthy and red just like all my other toes. It has been numb constantly and the strange feeling is starting to become annoying.

There are no other problems I am aware of except some skin peeling on my foot. And last month I was using something to fight foot fungus. I have been travelling a bit lately, long flights etc. Could have something to do with it.
I started having very slight numbness in two toes of my right foot two weeks ago.
No tingling, no pain. Then, yesterday night, I woke up in the middle of the night and realized that there is  numbness in my right pinky. This finger numbness was gone when I got up in the morning.
Today, I had small sleep after lunch time and when I woke up I realized I have a very slight numbness in my left toes as well.

I would really appreciate any example of a clear diagnosis of this.

Izzet

I'm a combat medic in the U.S. Army and yes, this is very common.  My main advise to soldiers asking Doc is to try the Wide version of their favorite combat boots.  Although, I have this issue with both big toes and havn't done anything to treat it.  I don't know about all of you but changing boots after over 100miles of ruck-marching isn't as easy as it sounds.  I will try wides once it's time for new boots, however.

Also, a cheaper option would be to purchase "Mole Skin" and treat this Very annoying numb spot(Yes i agree it is a very annoying sensation) as if it were a blister.  Use the mole skin as a support to avoid your toe from rubbing against your boot, or uncomfortable dress shoes.  This option may help, I do not expect people to want to change mole skin out everytime they shower, however.  A second pair of socks would most likely cause more restriction on your foot if a narrow shoe is the issue to begin with, also a sweaty and less desireable choice in my opinion.

Take what you want from this, it is just what i've gathered from my experience with the problem.
I'm a zoo keeper and spend long hours on my feet in boots that don't have the greatest support.  I often get numbness in my big toes, usually at the tips or at the sides.  It comes and goes, but definitely flares up after I've been in the boots for a long time.  I am assuming it's nerve damage from the boots, possibly coupled with my habit of walking 3-6 miles per day.  I've also noticed that it tends to get worse when I'm lying down in bed, and is at its most severe and annoying when I'm sitting up in bed reading, with my legs stretched out but my spine vertical.

I am making an appointment with my doctor to check up on this issue and be sure it's not something serious.  I suggest you all do the same as well.  One of the early signs of diabetes can be tingling or numbness in the fingers and toes, and multiple sclerosis and related diseases also can have numbness or tingling of the extremities as an early symptom.  Unless you have a family history of diabetes or are otherwise at high risk, these are unlikely diagnoses but it's worth ruling them out.

So, all of my fellow people with numb toes, go see a doc!  :)

I'll post here after I get some info from my doctor to let you all know how my particular case turns out.  
I am Type 2 Diabetic, however I had controlled it so well with diet and exercise, that my numbers are amazing. Well last year when I was working 12 hour days, I would run up and down a flight of starts about 600 times a day (seriously, running up and down and all around after every single customer. Well, I was wearing flip flops. I went home and just so happened to to look down at my left leg and my foot was swollen like if you had blown up medical gloves into balloons. This was the same for my right foot. The swelling went up my left leg all the way to my knee. ANYWAY, at this point, I decided to do an inspection of my feet and my right big toe was numb on the outter left side. I switched to great shoes, bought diabetic foot cream, bought many different kinds of insoles, and from April 2008 til the end of April 2009 my right big toe was completely numb. Thankfully I have feeling in it, but it took over a year, and is not completely back. I am generally a healthy person, so it's not like I didn't take care of myself. I just wasn't aware that flip flops aren't proper foot attire. I still can't wear them to this day or my feet swell up really bad.
I have the same problem in my right pinkie toe but it comes and goes seemingly at random.
Amazing that everyone has the similar issue i have.  Except, mine started like 10-15 yrs ago.  I was playing basketball, jumped real high and came down and it felt like a needle going through my big left toe.  The pain only lasted about 1 hour or less.  In next few days following the incident, the toe started getting numb whenever I stood on my feet too long.  It's not painful right now, but it bothers the hell out of me til now whenever it gets numb.  I just thought I had pinched a nerve and no longer have nerve there.  I didn't bother going to a doctor cause he'll probably tell me to not stand on it too much and charge me a lot of money to tell me that.  If I heard that I'll slap the SH*T outta the doc.  lol.
Honestly, I don't think there would be a remedy for this issue.  If you find it that'll be great!

As for you guys who started getting those things following a flight, it's not the same thing as the rest of us.  Apparently for people flying often, you can get blood cloths in your leg's veins and most of the time it disolves and the veins become free and your issues will clear, however in extreme cases it may cause sever issues.  I hear you should get checked regularly if you're a frequent flyer.
I got the same problem. Both my right and left big toes got numb recently. After I read all the posts here, I just realized that it started after a long flight from Chicago to Hawaii, then I had to walk a lot during the following week and the shoes I brought with me were tight. I will try to soak my feet in hot water now and then, and massage them a little bit. Hopefully the numbness will go away soon.
This is a follow up to my post of May 16th. After many tests and and 4 different (kinds) of doctors, the best 80% diagnosis I can get is tarsal tunnnel syndrome. My 2 biggest toes on my r foot are numb, I feel like I am walking on a wad, and I have frequent tingling and sometimes sharp shooting pains. He (the podiatrist) says these are classic tts symptoms. Surgery is probably my only option and there is only an 75 to 85% chance that that will fix it. Has anybody else had close to these symptoms and/or had the corrective tts surgery???
Did your podiatrist say what the cause was or did just jump to "surgery" without a more conservative treatment first?

My dpm said the numbness I have at the tips of both great toes is due to bone spurs and the numbness on two smaller toes is from a neuroma.  

He (and I) are reluctant to go the surgical route until the numbness is more of a problem, such as possibility of damage because I don't know that I've "hurt" the foot or that it gets to be more problematic to me.

Ask more questions before agreeing to surgery.  From what I've been told by friends who've had foot surgery it's not terribly easy to recuperate and sometimes the scar tissue can be more problematic than the original problem.

Good luck and keep us informed.
I don't think a dpm can give you an exact cause but I've had all the nerve tests and xrays and I don't have clouting or bone spurs. He is definately not pushing me in to surgery and I have been wearing orthotics since April. In my research I have discovered that sometimes tts is brought on by a sudden change of lifestyle where one suddenly starts to walk a lot which is exactly what my new job had me do in February. It just all fits that I do have tts....what do I do about it is the question...and I would really like to hear from someone who had simular symptoms with SUCCESSFUL tts treatment/surgery. The prob is, if it were succesful, they probably won't be looking here. Thanks for your response though.
i too have got numbness in my right big toe i also have carpal tunnel fibromalgia back pain numbness in my left thigh and too many other medical problems am on high medication seen doc sendg me for bloods full count fasting glucose test am 40 non smoker or drinker  overweight have 5 kids youngest is 5months whats wrong am fed up something all the time think my family think am a hypercondriact helppppppppppp
I have been walking barefoot to correct this. I try to wear flexible flat shoes like converse, vans slip-ons and sanuk sidewalk surfers to prevent this. I am also looking into vibram fivefingers to prevent this from happening.
Just wanted to add that I have the exact same symptom everyone else is talking about.

Numbness in the tip of my right toe, about an inch in diameter. Started a month ago on a long flight from the Bahamas to Los Angeles.

I would definitely say that flying is a huge common factor in all of our cases. I also had spent a month almost constantly on my feet.
it seems as the same issue- numbness/tingly feeling in my left big toe.  i noticed it a few days ago.  it feels MUCH better WITH my shoes on, that I don't even notice it.  it's only when I'm barefoot and my toe touches the ground (or touches anything) when i notice it and it bothers me.

there are so many different suggestions (need bigger shoes, rest foot, diabetes, back nerve damage, blood clot, etc.) I don't know what to think.  I don't want to go to the doctor for a "numb toe"- especially since everyone has had different diagnoses for what seems to be the same problem.  

but i'm scared it might be something more serious that i'm ignoring.
i don't know what to do.
I posted my problem on 10/2/09 and thought I was the only one with numbness in my big toes.  On 10/3/09 I viewed other statements by others attesting to the same problem.  Unlike some of those who reported on this issue, I have not flown in an airplane.  I classify myself as health.  I am sixty years of age, active on my little farm and have no medical problems except high blood pressure.  For me, my problem is not evident until the later part of the day.  I have found that if I take a hot bath, it lessens the numbness in my big toes.  Occasionally, it is annoying when I go to bed, but once I fall asleep, I do not experience a problem.  When I arise in the morning, my feet are fine.

Analyzing my situation, and by reading what one individual said about an adequate amount of water to drink—I almost never drink water.  My liquid intake is in the form of milk, coffee, or orange juice.  I believe it is worth the effort to try to increase my intake of water.  

I thought I would share this with the web audience.  
I went to the runner's shoe store and they said my fallen arches are compressing the bones in my feet so I'm walking with a roll from heel to toe without touching my pinkie. This is putting pressure on the big toes.

Wide shoes in the middle of the foot helps and I go to the sports store to buy arch support to build up my arches again.

Arches fall with age. Go to a New Balance shoe store to get your footsteps technically analyzed for FREE.
I just started having this numbness in my left toe, after walking down my stairs barefoot. As i was walking down the stairs the middle part of the bottom of my foot stepped on the edge of the step and i felt a sudden tingly shock go through my foot. as if someone hit my funny bone on my elbo. With this i feel that i have nerve damage now.  it now feels tingly all the time. wierd...
•Shoes: Very often a bad pair of footwear can cause numb big toe. The footwear puts pressure down on the toe and causes pain and numbness. Sometimes, if the laces are tied too tight, they can obstruct the flow of blood going to the toes. It has been observed that very many people, especially women, often wear a pair of shoes of the wrong size. Women want to wear a pair of shoes which is in vogue, hence they end up buying such a pair. However this is not a very good practice.
•Compression of the Nerve: A numb big toe a symptom of compressed nerve. A nerve can get compressed due to many reasons, two main reasons being, shoe hurting the toe for a very long period of time and the second reason, injury to the toe. You will have to visit a doctor for corrective action that is required to cure the numb big toe.
•Gout: Often gout is neglected as one of the reasons for numb big toe. High level of uric acid is one of the gout causes, leading to numb big toe. You will have to undertake a test to check uric acid levels before you can nail the culprit.
•Diabetes: Diabetes patients frequently have numb big toes. If you are suffering from diabetes, then you should be very careful about your numb big toe and not neglect it at all. In case you have not checked whether you are diabetic, then it is advisable to get yourself checked for diabetes as in all probabilities, diabetes may be causing the numbness.
•Inflamed Bone: If the bone on the underside of the big toe is inflamed, it can cause pain and numbness in the big toe. The reasons for inflammation of the bone can be arthritis or a part of the bone may be hitting a nerve in the big toe.
•Bunions: If you have noticed a bump at the base of the big toe, it is probably a bunion. They are also referred to as tailor’s bunions. They cause extreme pain and numbness in the big toe.
•Peripheral Neuropathy: This is condition which is common to people who smoke or are diabetic. Peripheral neuropathy affects large and small blood vessels. The blood vessels get damaged and that leads to harm and/or damage of the nerve. Peripheral neuropathy causes numbness in the extremities. If this condition is not treated well, in time, it can mean losing control in the limb.
•Cervical Spondylosis: The bones and cartilages in the backbone and neck deteriorate gradually, causing back pain, stiffness or spasm. A nerve can get compressed due to cervical spondylosis, which can cause numb big toe.
It is important that you find the exact numb big toe causes and get it treated in time. If it is a severe problem, it can cost you your limb, therefore have it examined by a health care professional at the earliest. Remember a stitch in time saves nine!
i do have this problem too, it happened after being mandated to stayed at work for 32 hours becuase of the recent blizzard. and my feet hurts from wearing the boots all day and all night. its been 1 week now, i still have the numbness both in my big toes, no pain, but the tingling and numbness bothered me. probably it was caused by wearing wrong boots, and does hurts my feet so bad especially my big toes, probably that was happen. im not sure if i have diabetes, i hope not.. thanks for the info..
Recently I removed my wallet out of my rear left pocket.  By doing this it seems to have lessen the numbness in my left toe.  At this point it hasn't completely disappeared.
I had the same thing happening off and on for a year, numbness in big toes. It seemed not to happen unless the weather was pretty cold.

It took me this long to realize that I had purchased new work boots which were a size smaller than my previous pair, I hadn't worn my old ones when I went to by the new pair and couldn't remember the size. I figured they "fit well" because my toes didnt reach the end but they were always a bit snug from side to side in the toe area yet they weren't uncomfortable however my toes were always cold and never seemed to warm up though the rest of my foot was fine.. I had incidents where both small toes went numb on the outside.

Turns out that if boots are too narrow in the toe box it can slow or cut off circulation... this in combination with cold weather which restricts blood flow anyway was just the right combination to cause this. I went and bought a new set of size 12's with a wider toe box and this seemed to improve greatly almost immediatly.

I was scared to death when i did any web searches because you come across Diabetes or MS among other things that cause toe numbness.... The internet is a scary place. Bottom line was when i looked up the symptoms of diabetes i didn't have a single symptom (i.e frequent urination, sudden fatigue, blurred vision, etc) I guess numbness isn't a symptom as much as it is a long-term effect in the 20-year range of having diabetes.
one thing no one mentioned with big toe numbness it could be a form of siatica with the l4=l5 disc bulge or herniation
I have numbness in both big toes and the two toes next to them. Have had this symptom for over three years. Always feels like you got a wad of paper in your shoes. I'm an Ex-Marine of 20 years, was in Nam and was subjected to agent Orange. This Numbness started in my right foot and about a year later spread to my left foot. There is no pain but sometimes uncomfortable... hot at night. The doc said I had  dead nerves and when I ask him what caused it, he just scrugged his shoulders.As long as I can walk and the dam things don't fall off...i'm ok
While the numbness could be a sign of many disorders it could also be a sign of a more serious condition.

For me, I am a smoker and computer programmer who sits stationary for long periods. I have a numbness in my left foot at the tip of my big toe and believe it to be a warning sign of circulatory issues.

I do not want to scare anyone but it could be a warning of near future heart attack, stroke or other related problem.

Check to see if you have the numbness in any other extremity such as fingers or other toes. Also, check to see if the temperature in your feet and toes are significantly lower then your body temperture. It should be slightly lower which is normal but it should not be cool to the touch or significantly lower. Especially check the temperture of the toe that has the numbness and compare it to the other toes.

If the foot is cold, toe is numb, and even cramps in the foot or leg occur it's quite possible you have bad circulation in those areas indicating a serious problem that will get worse and again, may be a warning sign of a impending serious problem (such as heart attack or stroke). Be very careful, go to the doctor and have tests done no matter if they advise otherwise.

Furthermore, eat well, exercise (not too much), and maybe consider taking baby aspirin daily (of course consult your doctor before such and make sure you have no allergies to aspirin).

Our bodies always give us warning signs before something worse happens, many ignore them. Listen to your body.

Hope this helps!
In addition to my previous post:

Another home test for detecting blood circulation problems in your foot:

- Place your foot with the toe numbness in a large bowl (or tub) of warm/hot water (not too hot!), make sure your leg is completely straight and wait a few minutes to see if the numbness goes away. If it does go away while your foot remains in the water and combined with the temperature test it's further indication of blood flow/circulatory issues and presents a red flag. Go to the doctor with your findings. The more information you give a doctor the better chance they have of figuring out the cause.
I've had the same problem for about 8 months now. Incredible that with all these people no one has found out why this is happening! I went to the doctors and had my lowerback xrayed and everything, problem was I never got the results. It doesnt bother me too much. Its the outer edge of both of my big toes and the  spot right before the toenail. Annoying when I pay attention to it, but nothing really that intolerable. It can't be that bad if you cant feel it right? and by the way I would love to go to a cyropractor...wish I could afford it
     Hi im a 23 year old from california. Im so glad to hear others have had this problem. Im sure their are many causes but i thought id tell you my story :)
     My boyfriend freaked me out when he had something similar and it was caused by a deep infection. I didnt understand how an infection could not only affect your nerves but your blood circulation too. If im standing or walking no matter the shoe my L big toe starts aching. at first it was a numb feeling but its almost been a year now and i still feel the affects. Im pretty sure i know the cause tho and its not something thats been listed yet...yoga.
      I used to take a yoga class a few times a week when i started working at this really nice gym. one of the simple stretches that is done all the time is sitting on your ankles to bend the toes forward. It always hurt me and i usually could stand it no longer than 10sec while everyone else lasted minutes. I asked my favorite teacher why i couldnt do it and he said that i needed more practice and to try stretching like that every morning....stupid ***! A week into my new morning routine my toe bagan going numb. Doesnt hurt all the time but its a year later and its still caused by not only standing on it or walking too long but also cold weather. heating pads helped and coming home from work id run hot water on it. massaging and resting my foot is the best thing i have found so far. it hurts to press in certain places like the bone is bent but i can bend it fine. The only difference in my toes are sometimes it looks more purple and when i put my toes together and press on them with my fingers one is white for a second and the blood retuns quickly while the other takes about 20 seconds to become pink again. ive tried this on different parts of my foot but everything else seems normal. Its definatly a toe thing caused by a sprain, pinched nerve, weird vein change, or whatever. All I know is that I caused it by doing yoga.
     So if you lasted my long story thanks and stay in there. Its a toe, not the end of the world. oh! and if you ever go to yoga please dont be stupid like me and sit on your toes. this **** is really annoying!
I had numbness in my big toes and after discussion with my doctor we were able to link the numbness to 'flip-flops'.  There is a major nerve that runs inside portion of the big toe and extended wearing of 'flip flops' will compress this nerve and cause numbness.  Flip Flops were not desinged for extened wear (all day at the park) and other types of long walks.  Changed to walking shoes.  No numbness!  Suggestion - leave the flip flops for in the house not outdoors.
I am having numbed R toe for about 6 months and went to see neuro physicien. she said the there are three reasons for this numbness 1. wrong shoes 2. some nerves blocked or hurt in backbone or any problem in the left part of the brain.
She suggest so many tests which i didnt do but I did discuss this issue with my collegue who is a doctor she went through the recomended test list and she pointed a test B12 level, for that she said instead of going for any test you start taking vitamine B 12 suppliment and observe the result cos most of the time due to the defeciency of this vitamin people get nerves problems.
I have just started taking B12 suppl and found helpful, beside this I am taking foot massage also and have changed my shoes.

For shoes you have to explore yourself , usually best shoes are those which suits your feet shape and the tip for best shoes is that after wearing couple of hour if you feel no stress on your legs and foot this means it worked.
Both of my big toes became numb after I had my daughter. I believe it was from carrying her around on my hips that threw my entire body out of whack. I dealt with this for a year until I finally decided to try and solve this annoying problem. I found out that I had been over-pronating and putting a lot of pressure on my big toes when I walked. I recently bought a pair of Orthaheel brand flip flops and after only a few days of wearing them, I can feel my toes and no more tingle! The shoes are uncomfortable at first because the soles are realigning the foot and ankle, but once that happens, they become much more comfortable. I feel like I have slightly better posture in them as well. This isn't quite a diagnosis, but it's a possible solution for some of you... it was for me!
maybe you need to just put your fat toe in peoples faces and just keep them out all the time then your fat toe will feel better.

feel better fat toe...
i have numbness in my big toe on my left foot it started two days ago i just moved to hawaii and have been wearing flip flops a lot and where im originally form i never wore flip flops and ive been walking all over the town im in like almost everyday and i have blisters and sores on my feet skin peels and stuff but the numbness starts at the bottom of my big toe on my  left foot and goes a lil on the side of my foot if anyone can give some answers it would be greatly appreciated
The numbness in your toe is most likely associated with a back injury and Sciatica. Pain down the leg and across the ankle and top of the foot are also common with this type of injury. A compressed disk is the most likely specific problem.
Me too! I just noticed yesterday that my left toe is also numb. Thought maybe I had an ingrown but I don't.                   That's a good theory about tight shoes. The last time I wore tight shoes was a few months ago. And they are tight on my toes. Since then, I mostly wear sandals.  Could they have been numb since then and I've just noticed?                          I have No pain nothing. Its just annoying. I forget that its even numb. But when I remember that it is, I touch it to see if it still is, and it is! What bothers me about it even more is not knowing the cause or reason why. Just glad I'm not alone.
I recently took a 4 1/2 hour drive to a funeral. I wore my tennis shoes, which are not tight. However, for the funeral I wore some heels, which I rarely wear, and the shoes were just a bit tight on the toes. I only had to stand for about 15 minutes. Now I have this numbness on the tip of my big toe (R). Annoying, slightly tender to the touch.
I checked to make sure I didn't have an ingrown toenail. Nothing.
I can only assume it was from the shoes, because I have NEVER had this problem before.
The right tip of my big toe is numb or dull also. I've had a lot of people give me bad info. Like its MS, Neuropathy or I could be Diabetic. Its good to hear this is an issuse that can be less scary and very normal. Its not getting worst and I've tried Stevent's test. It still remained numb. I know I'm not Diabetic so it must be a nerve issue. Keep me updated on any info you have. No one wants to spend thousands of dollars on tests and get no answers.
This is really weird! The big toe on my left foot is numb too. It's not pins & needles & it's not totally numb either (I can still feel pain and pressure but it feels like it's 'gone to sleep' a bit). I have no back issues or any other health problems. I don't have any peeling skin or anything like that either. The only thing I can think of is that I often sit crosslegged in the 'lotus' position but I do move around a lot. I also exercise a fair bit and don't wear tight shoes etc.

I'm seeing my doc on Monday so will ask her and post her response. I must admit it has freaked me out a bit!
I had a numbness in my left big toe, and nothing in my right big toe.  This all started as my lower disc in my back was putting pressure on certain areas restricting either blood flow or nerves to that area.  A lower back disorder even if you are stiff in the back when standing up can show a bulge in the lower disc.  It is actually very common for the left big toe to go numb when this disc bulges.  I put up with mine for 2 months before I got the feeling back.  Hope this helped.
we are all crazy, so many people with the same problem and all too busy to go to a doctor, ha ha ha, still reading all your comments made me feel a little better , so for now i will continue to look down to see if something is stuck in between my big toe and and 2nd toe , let me know if anyone dies from this , then i will go to doctor.
My symptoms are a little different. I'm 20 years old and I have the flattest feet I've ever seen a person have. I experience numbness in between my big toe and the one right next to it. I've had this weird sensation my entire life but I've never been able to accurately explain the symptoms to my parents or a doctor. Because of this, I've been treated for atheletes foot and many other frustrating diseases.

Recently (the last couple of years) I've experienced the same numbness on the outside of where my arch should be. I've been to many doctors and I wear custom made arch supports daily. I still can not make the discomfort go away.

One more thing: this kind of seems odd but a lot of times I get the urge to press against a certain spot between my first 2 toes. No matter how hard I press, I can't seem to relieve the discomfort I feel. I get cramps in the arches of my feet daily.

SOMEONE HELP!!!
I have Multiple Sclerosis (MS). I have lesions in my brain stem, thorasic and lower lumbar. I wake up every morning with the feeling that something is between my big toe and second toe upon standing. This is gradually getting worse. I have severe pain in my hands and my arms and hands go numb while sleeping, especially if I am lying on my back! You all should go to a doctor and tell them to refer you to a neurologist as this sounds like a nervous system problem.
Numbness now for one week. Right big toe. Placid lifestyle, no extended trips, wear flip flops a lot, but always have. I am 50. I am retired. I take xanax and prozac. I eat irregularly, (not always three times per day). My blood glucose level is usually 100 when I see the Dr. I am otherwise in good health. No identifiable associated symptoms; no sores, lumps or bumps. Just this approximately 1 inch in diameter numbness On top and around the medial aspect of my big right toe.
Me too...
Not completely numb in Left Big Toe. Also sometimes foot and calf  'seems' a bit weird. All reflexes normal - Docs doing blood tests...
said it was difficult to diagnose since I'm otherwise healthy - but if there *Was* a cause then it would be bad news!! WTF!!!
I woke up two days ago to the tip of my right big toe completely numb. I have always been very aware of my personal chemistry/physiology, so ive done some research. As probability would have it, I fall into all of the major risk groups for such an affliction:
-Long hours standing/walking (service industry especially)
-Poor shoe quality (slip-proof kitchen shoes are not traditionally very supportive)
-My maternal line is predisposed to diabetes/hypoglycemia (last stage diabetics are known to have swelling and numbness in their extremities)
-High impact sports such as basketball, football, and snowboarding(I originally experienced this phenomenon while boarding in badly fitted, rented boots, thought nothing of it at the time).
-Frequent alcohol consumption which further contributes to the diabetic/blood sugar argument
-Recreational drug use, especially vaso-constrictors, such as cocaine, exctasy(MDMA), and methamphetamine(speed) based substances
-I was diagnosed with both Osgood's slaughter and Severe's disease before 13, both of which are hereditary calcium deficiency immune disorders that effect the knee and ankle joints
-Regular but not severe back and neck pain at the base of my skull and T-5 regions
My advice to all of you:
-Invest in high quality work shoes, the relief you feel will be worth the extra money
-Take your vitamins; a well-balanced multivitamin will increase calcium absorbtion from the dairy you already eat and improve organ function
-Lay off the high-calorie/sugar beverages. A whiskey and soda with a lime tastes just as good as a whiskey and sprite, but contains only a fourth of the calories
-Swim instead of run. Swimming has been proven to increase circulation, and has a positive affect on ailing joints. It is also a higher resistance workout for all muscle groups. 20 minutes in a pool will do much more for you than 20 minutes jogging.
-Walk barefoot at home. You know how awesome it feels when you take off your tie at the end of the day, your feet will appreciate it even more. While you are at it, stretch your toes; move them in different directions, pretend you are playing piano with them; just wiggle them a bit. It will help.
-For drug users: If you are hung-over or useless the next day; its a sign that your body could use a couple days off. Alcohol mixed with any drug intensifies the negative circulatory effects(except marijuana to the best of my knowledge.) Just listen to your body, it will tell you what it needs.

I was flabergasted at the number of posts on this topic, and I hope we can all help each other to a greater communal health.
Well, I developed this problem by running barefoot! Go figure! (lol) When I finally decided to buy a pair of shoes fit for the purpose I ended up buying designer running shoes that barely gave support. Actually they had no support whatsoever. Knowing this for about two years I kept ignoring it because they weren't always that uncomfortable. One day last week I decided to run barefoot again and a day later is when I felt the numbing sensation in my right big toe. My dad always said don't run barefoot and that this could cause damage to your nerves in your feet and he always told me to get good running shoes. Me being me, I just put it off and thought am I really going to get nerve damage at 30? LoL, so I guess you can and now I get to deal with this slightly annoying setback. Anyway, I'm going to get the most comfortable, expensive, (haha) athletic running shoe on the market and start running with those. Hopefully I"ll get the feeling back. I mean I can still feel it, it's just tingly and numb, feels a little like I'm half human, half stone? Hahaha. Hopefully it will go away. My advice is to make sure you are wearing comfortable shoes for walking or running. And as far as slippers goes Abercrombie and Fitch has a pair that has really comfortable soft rubber soles on them. They are amazing. I bought my bf a pair but they weren't the ones I was talking about. They were a  leather pair and obviously not made made for comfort, he hates them. So if you find the rubber soles type then you're in luck. Juicy Couture's slippers has the same type of rubber sole but in a thicker heel. Super comfy. I almost want to say the Juicy ones are more comfortable but the A&F ones are like 9 bucks or less so super cheap. Though a store in New York was just infiltrated with bed bugs so I'd be careful, or you could just order them online! lol.
Strange...the outer top corner of my large toe has bend numb after a 20 hour flight from the far east 6 weeks ago.  I went to gp, cardiologist and neurologist with no luck.  I have been stretching a lot hoping it was a back problem, but also no help.  Have you any input after 4 years?
can anyone say in grown toe nail? I have the same problem but I noticed when I file the edges of my toe nail down the problem goes away. I think I need to just go and have the toe nail removed like my older brother did but I don't like going under the knife so i'll probably keep filing away... I hope this helps...
A related discussion, Bog Toe Tips Numb was started.
I have the same problem left foot big toe it's extremely large but mines has some discolor not painful but tingles a lot I wish I could get an answer from someone doctor gives me a different answer each week HELP ANYONE
Looking for a Doctor?
Shop for health care like an expert. Find the best doctors based on reviews from patients like you.