Undiagnosed Symptoms Community
Ongoing fatigue, weakness, stomach problems

This patient support community is for discussions relating to undiagnosed symptoms, breathing difficulties, feeling cold, cough, diarrhea, dizziness, fainting, fever, indigestion, itching, nausea, numbness, pain (chronic), paralysis, rash, sweating, swelling, urination problems, and vomiting.

I am a 20 year old woman with ongoing health problems. Last summer, my energy greatly decreased. I also noticed a decrease in appetite. My fingernails would turn blue sometimes. I was sick for a week at the end of the summer with nausea and dizziness. I recovered, but still didn't have my usual energy. A month later I started with heart palpitations that would sometimes last all night. I was dizzy and tired all of the time, and would feel as if the day wore me out completely. A few weeks later the palpitations stopped, but my nausea became so bad that I would end up sitting in the bathroom all day. I never threw up, but my stomach would churn violently for up to 12 hours. I could not relax. My vision was blurry also, and I had some trouble swallowing. I was extremely weak and dizzy. A few months later I started to feel better, but am still not back to normal. I can't do 1/20th of what I used to be able to do. I still have weakness, dizziness, some nausea and some trouble swallowing that seems to get worse the weaker I feel. I've also had 3 urinary tract infections in the past 8 mos.

I've had the following tests: Holter Moniter; Upper GI series; Blood tests for electrolytes, Celiac disease, LUPUS; endoscopy and colonoscopy; CAT scan. They've all come back normal. I have an ENG test coming up.

I'd like to know if anyone has similar symptoms. My doctors are stumped and it's becoming difficult to live with an undiagnosed illness.

Do you have a copy of your labwork ? Have your physicians tested you for other autoimmune conditions other than lupus ? How about lyme disease (which may require several tests) ? Also, have they checked your thyroid and ruled out postural orthostatic intolerance and tachycardia ? Do your fingertips, toes, nose or earlobes become painful when temperatures drop ? And has your physician performed an MRI (brain) on you ?

If you've had all of the testing I listed above, you may want to see a physician who knows how to diagnose and treat CFS. I have heard that you can get severe abdominal pain with CFS --- and just about everything else (unfortunately). If you have unrefreshing sleep and/or any 4 or more of the 8 symptoms listed below --- you should definitely see another physician who can help you but make sure you bring copies of all of your tests and labwork to him/her, so they can make sure that everything else has been ruled out.

You may want to use a search engine and find the CFIDS Association of America and especially if you have 4 of the 8 symptoms listed below:

Weakness and exhaustion, lasting more than 24 hours, following mental or physical activity
Unrefreshing sleep
Substantial impairment of short-term memory or concentration
Muscle pain
Pain in the joints, without swelling or redness
Headaches of a new type, pattern or severity
Tender armpit and/or neck lymph nodes
Sore throat
Thank you for your response. I don't currently have a copy of my lab results. I haven't had an MRI, just a CAT scan. I've only been checked for LUPUS, not any other auto-immune diseases. I don't think Lyme disease is probable.

I googled CFIDS and it does look like a possiblity. I also looked up MS and it doesn't look like the most probable, but it looks like it could be possible. I'll keep both in mind for now and see what happens in the next while.

The reason why I brought up autoimmune diseases is because of your recurrent infections and especially because of your blurry vision. But these are also both very common with CFS... so are the heart palpitations.

One thing I forgot to mention earlier is that although you tested negative for Celiac disease, you could still have an intolerance to wheat. I know it sounds funny, but it is true and you could have some nasty symptoms as a result. You may want to try a gluten free diet for at least 2 weeks and see if your symptoms improve. It is a very strict diet and even the smallest amount of wheat can ruin it.