Undiagnosed Symptoms Community
Ongoing pain around right shoulder blade&armpit

This patient support community is for discussions relating to undiagnosed symptoms, breathing difficulties, feeling cold, cough, diarrhea, dizziness, fainting, fever, indigestion, itching, nausea, numbness, pain (chronic), paralysis, rash, sweating, swelling, urination problems, and vomiting.

I have had ongoing severe achy pain completely around my right shoulder blade and around to my armpit region for a very long time now. This pain is so severe most of the time, that all I want to do is cry. I have trouble with daily functions, and sleeping is uncomfortable most nights. I have had surgery in this area for the removal of a sebaceous cyst last year, I thought that this was the cause of some of my pain. After the surgery the pain did subside for a short while, but only to come back at full force and then some. I can feel a small lump and thought I might have yet another cyst, but have been back to my surgeon 2 times and he is not concerned. He wanted to send me to physical therapy, and this did not settle well with me, because I have not even had any xray/MRI/CTscan on this area. What is there is an underlying condition and physical therapy would just harm it. I am really worried and do not know what to do at this point. In the last couple of weeks the pain under my armpit area has worsened, and the pain in my shoulder blade area is still just as bad as ever!!!! Any recommendations????????????????????????????????

1 Comment

Strained muscles and sprained ligaments are among the most common causes of such shoulder and armpit pain. This usually occurs when excessive pressure, often from exercising too much, causes the tissue to stretch too much or excessively, causing them to become damaged or torn. Pulled muscular tissue and pinched nerves(like in brachial neuralgia or thoracic outlet syndrome) are other possibilities. Take some OTC painkiller and some antiinflammatories.These may help.

Another cause of upper back pain is a ruptured or herniated disc. It can be due to fibromyalgia also(Muscles aches and stiffness are common traits of this condition).

More serious causes of such pain include osteoporosis(a disease in which the bones become porous and fragile—so fragile, that a vertebrae can shatter, just from the spine's own weight.), a ruptured spinal disk(rare),injury and heart disease(very rare on right side).

Moreover,the lump that you are feeling has to be investigated also.It can be a sebaceous cyst or swollen lymph node. Lymphadenopathy (swollen lymph nodes) is usually caused by a viral or bacterial infection. Other causes include allergic reactions, arthritis, cancer, metabolic diseases, and an overactive thyroid (hyperthyroidism).

I sincerely advise you to discuss these possibilities with your doctor and get yourself investigated for these.

Hope it helps.Take care and pls do keep me posted on how you are doing or if you have any additional doubts.

A related discussion, post shoulder surgery freeze and nerve pain was started.