Undiagnosed Symptoms Community
Ovarian pain

This patient support community is for discussions relating to undiagnosed symptoms, breathing difficulties, feeling cold, cough, diarrhea, dizziness, fainting, fever, indigestion, itching, nausea, numbness, pain (chronic), paralysis, rash, sweating, swelling, urination problems, and vomiting.

Ovarian pain

Over the past 2-3 weeks, I've had pain where my left ovary is.

I always have normal periods and take Yasmin oral contraceptive regularly (have been for maybe 10 years now).  Last year I had a recurring Bartholin's cyst removed.  Other than that I am healthy.

I saw my OBGYN, who did an exam and thought I had ovarian cysts.  However, the ultrasound that was performed afterwards came up normal with the exception of 3 small uterine fibriods that I was told wouldn't cause any pain or contribute to this problem.  So, they told me to get an appointment with my internist, which I did.

My internist did an exam and ordered a pelvic CT scan with contrast.  Today I got the results back that "everything seems normal."  I was told to eat more fiber and see the doctor in 2 weeks if nothing's improved.  

I do not have any bowel problems, appetite changes, etc.  I eat a pretty balanced diet with complex carbs and fiber anyway.  The pain is in one location (my ovary) and doesn't change.  The pain is dull and is ALWAYS there, but varies in intensity.  Tylenol 3 is not helping the pain.  

I can't seem to find anything on the 'net that could tell me what this pain could be.  Any ideas would be much appreciated.
Hi, I had pain like that too, it was an ovarian cyst that had gotten so big it got tangled up in my fallopian tube, so I had to have that ovary removed.  If they've already checked for cysts and told you that you have some fibroids or cysts that 'should not' cause pain that doesn't mean that they 'cannot' cause pain.  I think you should go see another OB/GYN at another practice who could look at your case with fresh eyes and give you a second opinion.

The only other thing I can think of is that you've gotten an infection somehow, maybe when the Bartholin's cyst was removed?  I have also had something called Pelvic Inflammatory Disease that causes pain the pelvic/uterine region.....it used to be thought of as an STD but now they know you can get it other ways besides sex.
Endometriosis can cause pain and often is not found without surgery.  

Since they suspect bowel pain, did they order a sigmoidoscopy or barium enema or something to see if there is a polyp or anything?  What about an occult blood stool sampling- did they order that?  

I had a sort of dull pain that increased in intensity as an endometrioma, sometimes called a chocolate cyst grew inside my left ovary.  An MRI showed it to be endometrioma.  Perhaps if you have an internal ovarian cyst, it is so large they cannot see where the cyst leaves off and the inner ovarian wall begins?