Undiagnosed Symptoms Expert Forum
Overheated and sweaty all the time

Topics covered include , breathing difficulties, feeling cold, cough, diarrhea, dizziness, fainting, fever, indigestion, itching, nausea, numbness, pain (chronic), paralysis, rash, sweating, swelling, urination problems, and vomiting.

Overheated and sweaty all the time

I sweat all the time. It doesn't matter if I am sitting still or moving.  My face turns bright red, my hair gets soaking wet, my face, neck, torso, and crotch sweat profusely.  I often change my clothes during the middle of the day.  This affects me on a daily basis whether I am home in my office or at the mall, in a restaurant, or traveling.  It's extrememly embarassing.  

Several years ago, when the sweating wasn't as bad as it is now, I had lab work, a pelvic ultrasound and an appointment with an endrocrinologist who basically shook his head and said he didn't know what was wrong with me.

I am not in early menopause.  I am 40 years old.  I have had hypothyroidism for 18 years and have been on synthroid with normal lab values during this time.  

I have researched hyperhydrosis but don't seems to have the appropriate symptoms for this.  The endocrinologist agreed that I did not have this.

HELP!
Tags: years
There can be several reasons for excessive sweating.

Infectious causes like TB or endocarditis, cancers like lymphomas, and endocrine disorders like thyroid disease, pheochromocytomas, or carcinoid syndrome should all be considered.

These can be discussed with an endocrinologist for appropriate testing (i.e. blood tests for thyroid disease, urine tests looking for metabolites suggestive of pheochromocytomas).  

A PPD and chest x-ray can be considered to look for TB, and blood cultures and an echocardiogram done to look for endocarditis.  

If lymphoma is a concern, a chest and abdominal CT scan can be considered.

These options can be discussed with your personal physician.

Followup with your personal physician is essential.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Kevin, M.D.
kevinmd_
I about died when I saw your post! It was as if I could have written it word for word! My sweating started 3 years ago(minimally) after a bad car accident where I broke my pelvis into 9 pieces!. I was sent home on pain killers to deal with my chronic pain. I take 20mg oxycontin bid and percocet for breakthrough pain. I had heard that was sweating was a side affect of these drugs but my doctor says "no" not to the extent that I now sweat. I sweat when it is cold out- sweat when I am doing no exertion. I only sweat on my face, hair, neck and crotch. I look like I just stepped out of a shower all the time. It is ruining me! I cut down on the meds (rather be in pain than sweat this much) and no change. My face gets bright red and I feel like I am going to faint from being overheated. I now get severe leg cramps due to potassium being low from sweating. Did you find anything out? Could it be a disorder of  the sympathrtic nervous system/adrenal glands? I have researched this and all the symptoms fit. I also have sky high blood pressure(never had it before) always in the 200 over 110 region and am on 3 bp meds. My dr cant figure it out. I feel like I am going to stroke out soon if cant find help. Cant go outside because I cant cool off . I vomit and feel like I have the flu almost on a daily basis. Sometimes want my life to be over -cant take this anymore-nobody seems to want to figure this thing out! Please respond!  Schpam
I am not alone!  What a strange feeling to know that there is someone else out there like me!  

I haven't gone to my doctor yet but I'm intrigued by the pheochromocytoma / adrenal gland suggestion.

I'm on a variety of meds but nothing that would cause this much sweating either.  The last time I talked to my doctor about it I didn't get too specific and she mentioned that someone in her office was always warm.  Not this warm!!!

This past weekend I was out of town and had a major sweat attack in front of people.  It was horrible.  My hair didn't dry for 3 hours and I eventually had to change clothes when I had a chance.  It's so awful and it definitely affects your quality of life.

I've not had vomiting or nausea symptoms - that would definitely put me over the edge!  I know what you mean about not wanting to go outside - it doesn't matter what the weather is like - I'm hot.  If there isn't air circulation, I'm a goner.  I've also felt like passing out - especially when I go from hot to cold (airconditioning to humidity).

And I have high blood pressure too - I'm only on one med and it seems to be working.

I did look into the adrenal gland idea and there is a simple 24 hour urine collection test to check for urinary catacholamines and metanephrines.  Check out http://www.endocrineweb.com/pheo.html.

Let's both talk to our doctors and see if we can solve this.  I'd love to have a day without sweating like a freak!

Hang in there!
It's good to know it's not just me with this problem. The sweat would start seemingly out of the blue while sitting in meetings or driving not just when running around. I started to keep lots of small white washcloths in my purse and car bc they look like hankerchiefs when I need to mop down in public. I've done all the tests - clear and normal - and tried all kinds of diets.

The only thing I've come up with is that the sweating is my body's way of telling me I'm tired.  I started testing this theory about a year ago. When I'm out running errands and I can feel the sweat begin at the back of my neck I have two choices. If I go home and rest then I can stave away the full blown sweat attack. If I keep going, do one more thing, then I'll be soaked and dizzy. Even 10 minutes of sitting still can make the difference if I'm away from home. My standard rule is that I have to rest until the sweat dries and then I can pick up my life. All these months of resting later the sweat is only occasional and now it's mostly my choice if I'm going to sweat. I hope this is helpful. It's not exciting but after years of embarassing sweat attacks I'm finally dry.
My doctor is ordering an MRI of the abdomen and MRA of the renal arteries. She thinks I might have pheochromocytoma or carcinoid syndrome (just like the MD that posted for you- odd!) She is worried I may stroke out. I have had to go home early twice from work so far. I work as surgery vet tech at a local college and I got so red in the face and dripping wet that everyone thought I was going to blow a gasket! My body gets so hot like I am in an oven- you touch my face and I swear you get burned! My sweat tops are soaked thru within 10 minutes of going in to lab. I dread surgery days because I know what is going to happen. It is so emabarrassing sweating in front of everyone. I have never had this problem before 3 years ago and it is getting dangerously worse very quick. My head hurts so bad from my BP. My face gets hot first- then my body then I sweat- then my BP shoots up -then I get the headache. My eyes even get blurry. Do you get bad foot/ leg/hip cramps too? Every night I wake up 2-3 x night screaming in pain because my feet are all contorted and I cant stop the cramping. Then my feet hurt for days. Then I have to deal with the tetany going up and down my legs all night. Its like I have electrical current attached to me and I am being tortured. I am on potassium pills but no help. I will let you know what happens with the tests. I am also wainting to get into an endocrinologist and a neurologist to check on autonomic nervous disorders.
A related discussion, MY HYPERSWEATING HAS SLOWED was started.
A related discussion, We Can Make It Together was started.
A related discussion, whew!!!!!!!!!!!!! was started.
I'm curious, are both or either of you cancer survivors? I have the same problem and have hit a point that I live mostly @ nite when the body and outdoor temp are the coolest. For me it started off here and there after I started going to the natl cancer institute for an experimental vaccine. I have late stage malignant melanoma & am just trying to achieve old age rather than die in my 30s. It has gotten so bad that starting today I took leave from work. I can no longer manage it there, aside from the humiliation it increases my pain so much & makes me lightheaded. As someone else said, its not really a life anymore. It is also not understood by others & being hot & sweaty can't b that bad, just drama. I wish. I have finally let my family in on the problem & will start seeing doctors tomorrow again. I've heard this can be common in cancer survivors and with certain tumors or metastasis. I hope we all find an answer, & that it is the simplest (screw cancer! It can't have me anymore) lol. I wish u the best of luck & will try to check back.
i cant be romantic wit my gf coz of tis sweat...she thinks am a weirdo bt she lyks me a lot...help me pls
I am so glad I found this. I think I'm gonna go nuts if I don't figure this out. For 7 years now I have suffered with overheating, turning unnaturally red and feelings of impending stroke. I recently was diagnosed with high blood pressure and have been taking a diuretic that has helped the pressure but not the symptoms. Doctor today suggested it's anxiety and put me on zoloft. I'm not convinced but am willing to try anything. Weird thing is, I don't sweat excessively and I drink loads of water. Went to lung, heart, and plain old mds and no real issues. My bloodwork revealed normal thyroid but has had slightly high platelets and salt. Maybe electrolyte imbalance? I'm not glad you all are suffering but sure glad I'm not alone in this mystery. Good luck all!
A related discussion, how to stop it was started.