Undiagnosed Symptoms Community
Pain after occipital nerve neuroma

This patient support community is for discussions relating to undiagnosed symptoms, breathing difficulties, feeling cold, cough, diarrhea, dizziness, fainting, fever, indigestion, itching, nausea, numbness, pain (chronic), paralysis, rash, sweating, swelling, urination problems, and vomiting.

Pain after occipital nerve neuroma

I had a CP angle meningioma the size of a lemon and it was removed in 1989.  Two years ago I was diagnosed as having an occipital nerve neuroma and had been having problems for several years prior to this.  The doctors thought that I had scar tissue from the original surgery and were injecting steriods into the base of the skull where the pain was.  After seeing a skul based surgeon he diagnosed the occiptal nerve neuroma and did surgery to remove the neuroma which was 4.3 cm.  The skull based surgeon said that the neuroma grew because the occipital nerve was cut during the CP angle surgery and the ends of the nerve were never cotterized.  The surgeon cotterized the nerve after removing the neuroma from the occipital nerve and burried the nerve in a musle at the base of my skull.  However it has been almost two years and I am still having a lot of trouble with the nerve.  How long does it take for the occipital nerve to heal after a surgery such as mine?