Undiagnosed Symptoms Community
Pain after siiting or lying down

This patient support community is for discussions relating to undiagnosed symptoms, breathing difficulties, feeling cold, cough, diarrhea, dizziness, fainting, fever, indigestion, itching, nausea, numbness, pain (chronic), paralysis, rash, sweating, swelling, urination problems, and vomiting.

Pain after siiting or lying down

Hi There,
I started having pain after sitting down (even for a short period of time) or lying down. It is very painful getting up and takes about 10-15 min to be able to walk. The pain starts from the buttocks, to behind of my right thigh and to right leg and foot. I have tried over the counter pain reliever/anti-inflammatory, had a deep tissue massage, but none seem to relieve the pain. The only time the pain goes away is when I am walking or standing.Thank you for your time in reading this.
Andrea63

A variety of conditions can lead to leg pain that is aggravated by sitting. These include Disc erosion, tightening of the piriformis muscle due to imbalances in the hip rotator muscles, sciatic nerve impingement, also called sciatica and pain from nerve injury (neuropathy).

Sciatica is a symptom not a diagnosis It is a non-specific term commonly used to describe symptoms of pain radiating downward from the buttock over the posterior or lateral side of the lower limb. It is caused by certain positions are usually associated with continually holding a poor posture either at home or at work.

Imaging methods such as MR Neurography may help diagnosis and treatment of sciatica. You can take OTC pain killers like brufen,do some stretching exercises and yoga and maintain a correct upright posture while sitting.

Severe cases may require surgery.

Pls consult your orthopaedician if the symptoms persist or become severe.

Do keep posting.

How are you?
Your symptoms suggest a possible nerve injury or entrapment in the hip area which gets worse on sitting down and relieved on standing and walking.
I would suggest you to please consult an orthopedic specialist as an exact diagnosis can be made only after examination and tests like X ray or a CT scan. Take care!
Thank you for your quick reply and information provided. I went to the doctor today and she gave me a shot and some medication for the inflammation and pain. If the condition persist, she asked for me to come back in 2 weeks for an MRI. I am so glad to be a part of this community. You were all very helpful and supportive.
Andra63