Undiagnosed Symptoms Community
Pain and Numbness to hands while sleeping.

This patient support community is for discussions relating to undiagnosed symptoms, breathing difficulties, feeling cold, cough, diarrhea, dizziness, fainting, fever, indigestion, itching, nausea, numbness, pain (chronic), paralysis, rash, sweating, swelling, urination problems, and vomiting.

Hi, I'm a 32 yr old Male. I'm recently having trouble sleeping due to the acute numbness and pain to bilateral hand’s while sleeping. I get waken up by an intense pain and tingling sensation to both hands, which also radiates to my forearm sometimes. I shake my hands to stimulate circulation but only give some minor relief. I eventually fall asleep just to wake up again in about a hour later. I had this happen to me about a year ago and went always by its self. I have no chest pain, shortness of breath, nausea/vomiting, dizziness, or and symptoms that might lien to a cardiac problem. I’m a healthy 32 yr old with no medical history. I recently and a physical for work reasons that included: blood work, 12-lead, pee test, lung capacity, chest x-ray, hearing test, vision test, TB test, MMR shots, and passed with flying colors. I also had a sonogram done of my heart for use of a medication for ADD and showed my heart is able to take the effects of the medication. I know it’s not the medication for ADD because these symptoms have happened to me in the past before the new medication. I also start feeling the same pain and numbness while writing for a long period of time. I took my Vitals and they are in normal levels: H/R: 70-80’s, B/P: 113/78, Cap.Refill < 2 sec. So far it’s been 3 days since it started and some nights are worse than others. No accident history, no sport injuries, no neck, back, or leg pain. No family history of cardiac, only mild Hypertension, asthma: Father (Hypertension) at age 85, and Mother (Asthma) only with allergies to pets. Please if you have any clue….Please let me know. Thanks
1 Comment
Welcome to the MedHelp forum!
There is a chance that you have compression of the spinal nerves in the cervical or upper thoracic spine region. This can happen due to overuse of computers, work involving straining of neck, herniated disc, canal stenosis, bone disease, spondylosis, poor posture etc. A MRI of the cervical and thoracic spine and nerve conduction studies may be required. It could also be due to impingement of nerves at shoulder or elbow or even at the wrist. Please consult a neurologist. The treatment is to remove the compression. You have to discuss the best treatment option with a neurologist, which can range from medication to physiotherapy to traction, cervical collars or other corsets or even surgery.
Impingement of blood circulation too could be a cause and this could be due to atherosclerosis or pinched blood vessel or deep vein thrombosis. Duplex ultrasounds or dopplar studies may be required and you may need to consult a vascular specialist. Hope this helps. Take care!