Undiagnosed Symptoms Community
Pain and burning sensation under right rib cage! HELP!

This patient support community is for discussions relating to undiagnosed symptoms, breathing difficulties, feeling cold, cough, diarrhea, dizziness, fainting, fever, indigestion, itching, nausea, numbness, pain (chronic), paralysis, rash, sweating, swelling, urination problems, and vomiting.

I have been reading everyone's questions and posts about pain under the right rib cage. I have a similair problem. Most of the time it feels like a burning sensation and occasionally radiates to my back. I have been to the Doctors and had an AB ultrasound and just a few weeks ago and  a HIDA scan. All were normal! I am very uncomfortable and the pain seems worse when I sit. Sometimes it feels like a knot or spasm.  I have tried thinking about what foods I ate but it dosen't seem to matter what I ate. I am 46 and 5'6" about 130 Lbs. I am really at a lost cause and don't know what to do. My "husband" thinks I am just over reacting, but I know how I feel......... And advice would be much appreciated. This has been going on for 6 Months now.. Thank You!
Go and have your gallbladder checked that is what pain ended up being. That is the only symptom I had.  Know that it is gone so is the pain.  Good luck
Welcome to the MedHelp forum!
A step wise approach is needed to diagnose pain under right rib cage. If you have pain under your right rib then there could be a liver infection, pancreatitis, or a gall bladder problem (ruled out by HIDA and ultrasound in your case). Get a liver function test, ultrasound or CT of abdomen (this is done), and pancreatic enzymes. It can also be due to acidity and duodenal ulcer. Take a late night snack. Raise head end of bed. Take Omeprazole empty stomach in morning and an antacid gel at bedtime. Refrain from smoking, alcohol, fuzzy drinks and spicy food. Walking around also helps clear gas. It could also be muscle pull that can be treated by applying local analgesic creams. It could also be costochondritis, which causes pain and tenderness at points where your ribs attach to your breastbone.  The inflammation around the joint area gives sharp pain on taking a breath. This can also cause tenderness on pressing the area which pains. An orthopedic doctor can diagnose this for you. Generally there is no cause. However it can be due to infection, blow, injury, or fibromyalgia. It usually goes away on its own. Otherwise it can be treated with muscle relaxants, and non steroidal anti inflammatory drugs. It can also be muscle pull. Shingles can also start this way. Pain under right ribs with gas can be due to any inflammatory bowel disease like Celiac or Crohn’s, IBS or due to food intolerance. If all these are ruled out, then laproscopy should be done. Such an undiagnosed pain is usually due to adhesions and cutting the adhesions takes care of the pain. Pain under right rib case can also be due to pleurisy, asthma, or any other lung problems. Usually this is accompanied by lung related symptoms like breathlessness, cough etc. Since a confirmed diagnosis cannot be given on net please discuss with your doctor once. Hope this helps. Take care!
I’ll be 41 this year, 5’6” and 127lbs. I have had the burning pain under my right rib cage for a few years that extended to my back. Since I had already had my gallbladder removed over 18 years ago, that was also ruled out. The pain seemed to co-inside with menstrual cycle, had the Mirana installed, biggest nightmare of my life, don’t want go into that because the dr. who recommended and installed didn’t tell me much about it, only that it should help with the blood flow but failed by skipping a major step. Anyway, since a GI doctor told me I had acute acid reflux, and had all the tests, tests and more tests, everything was ruled out and it continued to be still undiagnosed. I’m not saying this is your diagnosis, and was missed by several doctors even when it was listed in my family history, but my questions are finally answered. I have systemic scleroderma. Since my immune system doesn’t function normally, it’s very hard for me to fight off infection so even if I get something as mundane as a head cold, it causes a huge problem for me .  I have noticed the burning sensation got worse when my abdomen would bloat up severely after eating (small portions of food but it still happens), my sinuses would be very stuffy causing post nasal drip, and in compilation from period bloating, ovarian cyst and infection , then what I would call “an attack” hit if full force.  The only thing that eased the pain was heating pads and/or leaning against the corner of a wall, believe it or not but the pressure on my back from that almost stopped the pain on the front lower part were was burning the worst (but only briefly). After large bouts of vomiting for hours, the pain would finally ease. I don’t take pain killers, when you’ve got abdominal issues the side effects from the pills only make matters worse.   Another thing that helps is drinking large amounts of water through the day, nothing acidic, even tea and I eat a lot of soup (again, nothing acidic or spicy). I drink a lot of organic green tea with honey instead. I have maintained a very healthy diet throughout my life, but even that being the case, in this instance, it doesn’t matter. Another hit on me is that my family history also includes Lupus, another connective tissue disease. (My gene pool *****  ).
I just wanted to add this incase there are others with similar issues and the symptoms progressively get worse with no answers.  There is much more to this disease and since it’s not that common, it’s often overlooked, in my case, years until everything was finally linked and made sense. I’ve just started an herbal remedy, only been on it a week actually, but for the first time in years, I’m starting to show relief and a sense of hope. Amazing thing that…
A related discussion, Burning sensation under right rib cage was started.